iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Jan 15, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #12,901 of 13,503
Quote:
  In case anyone else than me got a little fed up with downloading a slew of files from various molasses-speed file hosting services, I figured I'd host it all myself:

Contents:
Update.img (the Sneaky Russian firmware)
Ibasso FW tool (Set to English)
Drivers
Win 8.1 Rockchip driver fix, all the files you need from this guide.
PDF instructions

The 191mb zip is sitting on my NAS, hooked up to my 100/100 fiber, so downloading it should be pretty fast.

thanks for that Sorensiim!  Did you install it yet?

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #12,902 of 13,503
  thanks for that Sorensiim!  Did you install it yet?

Yep, just got it running now. Couldn't make the drivers work in Windows 10, so I pulled out a Win7 laptop. Using the Rockchip driver tool (included in the .zip I posted) everything was super easy. 

Thoughts so far:
  1. Much more responsive, really speeds up the UI
  2. Impossible to judge the sound without another DX100 on stock FW for comparison.
  3. No more clicks or static when turning on the screen etc.
  4. Still getting some clicks when playing 24/192 material from the microSD, but my card is old and slowly dying.
  5. Track ordering still shot to **** despite careful naming with leading zeros and all.

The FW is definitely an upgrade over stock. Some of the old bugs persist, but the improved UI speed really makes it a lot more enjoyable to use. I've ordered an AK120 II and I'm really looking forward to comparing it to the DX100! The DX100 still sounds great, has gobs of power and if you can pick one up from the forums for $4-500, it's still a great buy.

Jan 15, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #12,903 of 13,503
I notice too that although this fw will play dsf files, seems like the hardware struggles to cope and the unit becomes unresponsive.

I'll be attended a headfi meet in April and I think there will be another dx100 there (your old unit sorensiim) so im looking forward to comparing!

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #12,904 of 13,503
I notice too that although this fw will play dsf files, seems like the hardware struggles to cope and the unit becomes unresponsive.

I'll be attended a headfi meet in April and I think there will be another dx100 there (your old unit sorensiim) so im looking forward to comparing!

Cool! So nice to hear that it's still out there, spreading aural bliss! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #12,906 of 13,503
After using the DX100 again for just over a week, most of it on the Russian FW, these are my rambling thoughts:

1. It sounds great, everything just flows effortlessly from it.
  2. The Russian FW makes it faster to use, but does not eliminate the odd clicks and pops (ie when turning the screen on or off)
  3. It's bulky, but less so than the DX90/PB2 stack I was rocking. Feels great to have just one unit.
  4. The odd quirks are all forgiven when the music plays, except this one:
    The track ordering is completely random. All albums/files are tagged and named by an anal-retentive fascist autist (me), yet some have their tracks perfectly in order, others are completely jumbled.

Conclusion: Awesome player if you can snag one on the forums for $4-500. Sounds spectacular, but the UI needs work. I'm sure Ibasso will come out with something amazeballs to once more be a contender in the race to build the Top Dog of DAPs, but until then... I'm raping my VISA card, selling my kidney and possibly one of my kids to get an AK120 II.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #12,907 of 13,503
  After using the DX100 again for just over a week, most of it on the Russian FW, these are my rambling thoughts:

1. It sounds great, everything just flows effortlessly from it.
  2. The Russian FW makes it faster to use, but does not eliminate the odd clicks and pops (ie when turning the screen on or off)
  3. It's bulky, but less so than the DX90/PB2 stack I was rocking. Feels great to have just one unit.
  4. The odd quirks are all forgiven when the music plays, except this one:
    The track ordering is completely random. All albums/files are tagged and named by an anal-retentive fascist autist (me), yet some have their tracks perfectly in order, others are completely jumbled.

Conclusion: Awesome player if you can snag one on the forums for $4-500. Sounds spectacular, but the UI needs work. I'm sure Ibasso will come out with something amazeballs to once more be a contender in the race to build the Top Dog of DAPs, but until then... I'm raping my VISA card, selling my kidney and possibly one of my kids to get an AK120 II.

Thanks for your thoughts.  I've actually never noticed this, probably because I live in all music/Shuffle mode all the time!  It is much better to use than previously though, boots faster, indexes faster, operates faster and sounds really nice.

As you are so familiar with the DX100. I will be curious to hear how the sound compares to the AK120 MkII in your opinion.  Are you likely to have both units for a while to compare? please post back with your comparisons if you get a chance and if you don't mind.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #12,908 of 13,503

Thanks for your thoughts.  I've actually never noticed this, probably because I live in all music/Shuffle mode all the time!  It is much better to use than previously though, boots faster, indexes faster, operates faster and sounds really nice.

Absolutely! The Russian firmware definitely improves a number of things, some of them quite a bit! Most noticably is the vastly improved speed and responsiveness of the UI as well as the improved scanning speed. 

As you are so familiar with the DX100. I will be curious to hear how the sound compares to the AK120 MkII in your opinion.  Are you likely to have both units for a while to compare? please post back with your comparisons if you get a chance and if you don't mind.

The AK should arrive tomorrow and I'll still have the DX100 handy. I'm looking forward to comparing the two - One is a discontinued model from yesteryear, the other is brand new (and stupendously expensive). I expect the AK to provide the better user experience and the DX100 should win when it comes to value (sound quality per dollar spent) and raw power, both by quite a margin. The AK is the slimmer, more portable one, but as they will spend 99% of their time on my desk, feeding my CIEMs, raw power (DX100 wins!) and bulk (AK wins!) are both rather moot points to me. 

If you're looking for a one-box transportable or work rig, the DX100 is still VERY much a DAP to consider, especially with the Russian firmware. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #12,909 of 13,503

Fixing the DX100 sorting bug

I think I posted this waaaaay back, but here we go again. The DX100 still has some issues when it comes to playing music in the correct order, despite file names and tags being on point. This is due to the lovely (not lovely) Rockchip SOC used. It actually sorts files by the order they were written to the storage, so let's make sure everything is written in alphabetical order!

You: "Wait, do you want me to spend 5 hours transferring 64gb of music AGAIN - but in alphabetical order?!?"
Me: "Nope, there's a tool for that."

Enter: CopyInOrder. This tool was written specifically to deal with the Rockchip issue and copies files in proper order. But instead of transfering everything again, let's be smart. Connect the DX100 to your (Windows) computer via USB, enable USB storage on the DX100 etc, so you can see the contents of the internal storage in Windows Explorer. Fire up CopyInOrder and get to work!

Here, we're selecting the target folder in CopyInOrder. Create a new folder (I've named mine "Music2" because I'm such a creative spirit) on the DX100 where you want the music to go. 

Now you drag & drop the files from the old music folder onto the list, as shown above. Be sure to check the box for moving the files instead of copying them. Once everything is added to the list, hit that "Copy Files" button and let the program do the dirty work for you. It'll take a few minutes, but still WAY faster than transferring everything again. Once that's done, eject/safely disconnect the DX100 from your computer and give it a few minutes to scan all those exciting "new" files that have been added. 

Enjoy all your correctly ordered tracks. All of the above also works with your microSD cards.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #12,910 of 13,503
it is nice having such a capable all-in-one solution handy, which is why I still have mine around.  I often use my OnePlus One connected to my iFi MicroiDSD but for that you need to carry 'stuff' and connect 'stuff' and sometimes I like to just keep it a bit simple.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:56 AM Post #12,912 of 13,503
AK120 II is in the house and I like it a lot. If you wanted to buy a great DAP today, you could either get a used DX100 (as they're discontinued) around the $500 mark or a brand new (basically no second-hand units available) AK120 II at $1700. The AK is more compact, has more internal storage and a better screen. I won't pass a verdict on the sound yet, except that I'm liking what I've heard so far. Is it $1200 better than a used DX100? www.lolnope.dk

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #12,915 of 13,503
I was wondering if anyone knew if the DX100 could play the music stored on my NAS Drive over WiFi?  I have a NetGear ReadyNas with Minimserver (UpnP) installed which I use for my Naim SuperUniti, it would be super cool if I could stream my main music library to the DX100 when I’m at home.  Any idea how this would be done?  Would sound quality be affected?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back