iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 30, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #12,796 of 13,503

At first listen (a brand new HDP-R10) the sound signature is very close to the DX100, but the HDP-R10 isn't quite as refined. There is a tiny touch of harshness compared to the DX100.  I suspect that some burn-in may change this. But I stress - there was a very small difference - and this was only the first hour on the HDP-R10.

thanks for the reply.  If you're impressions change please let us know.  I see the R10 for sale at good prices sometimes, been tempted a few times as I've heard others say it sounds better than the DX100 (which is no mean feat).  So curious how a long time owner of a DX100 finds it in comparison. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #12,797 of 13,503
In case anyone is interested, I think I saw a brand new DX100 on sale from Frank at Toxic for 370 pounds.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #12,798 of 13,503
  ^ what firmware? 

thanks for the reply.  If you're impressions change please let us know.  I see the R10 for sale at good prices sometimes, been tempted a few times as I've heard others say it sounds better than the DX100 (which is no mean feat).  So curious how a long time owner of a DX100 finds it in comparison. 

Not sure which firmware and I'm not at home now to check.  I will check on this and post later.

I suspect my impressions may change as the R10 gets a little more play time, and I will post my impressions.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #12,800 of 13,503

OK, I've done some more listening. I no longer detect any harshness with the HDP-R10. There are some slight sound differences between the R10 and the DX100, but they are so slight that I can't even figure out how to describe them. Both sound superb, and you can't go wrong with either one. I have no preference between them at this point.

I should mention that I only use these units as Players/DACs (sometimes as just digital sources to external DACs and amps). So, I am only evaluating them using line out to external amps - mostly the semi-portable Pan Am. I never use them as standalone devices.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #12,801 of 13,503
OK, I've done some more listening. I no longer detect any harshness with the HDP-R10. There are some slight sound differences between the R10 and the DX100, but they are so slight that I can't even figure out how to describe them. Both sound superb, and you can't go wrong with either one. I have no preference between them at this point.

I should mention that I only use these units as Players/DACs (sometimes as just digital sources to external DACs and amps). So, I am only evaluating them using line out to external amps - mostly the semi-portable Pan Am. I never use them as standalone devices.

Thanks very much. How about the UI's is the r10 smoother? Not that I mind the dx at all, I usually either play albums right through or shuffle all songs so I don't tend to fiddle too much.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #12,802 of 13,503
Thanks very much. How about the UI's is the r10 smoother? Not that I mind the dx at all, I usually either play albums right through or shuffle all songs so I don't tend to fiddle too much.

The UI's seem pretty similar. I think the R10 may be a little faster on card reading, but not enough to make much difference.

I think "not fiddling too much" with either of these is a very good idea. I do the same - I just play music using the directory structure and that's it.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #12,805 of 13,503
Has anyone got the new Spotify apks to work? Whenever I try to install it, it gives an error.

I do have one from years ago that I found on the Spotify forum that does work if anyone wants that apk file, let me know. It's one of the older ones but it does have gapless and also has extremely quality stream/download. Unfortunately it doesn't have a black background as the new ones do and it also doesn't support landscape viewing.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #12,806 of 13,503
Guys please help to fix my problems with dx100.

From the beginning my dx100 played only 3 hours with my CIEMs. So I ordered new battery from ibasso. After new battery arrived I thought that maybe the real problem is the software so I decided to install the firmware once again and then check the battery life. I had 1.2.7 and I wanted just to re-install it. I plugged dx100 to my laptop (Dell laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) and the first problem was that it was not recognized (USD Device Not Recognized) and I couldn't get to the dx100 (if I pressed hard on the usb cable at the end which is connected with dx100 I could get the Android screen, but even if I got this screen and press Turn on mass storage dx100 was still not recognized by the laptop). However, after few plugging and unplugging laptop did recognize dx100 and I manage to sucesfully re-install the firmware. I had similar problems with dx100 while transferring all my music to it once I receive it.
Then, I wanted to transfer my music to the internal storage of dx100 (before re-installation I deleted all the music which I transferred to it once I received it) but I could not force the laptop to recognize dx100. Can someone please help me on this.

I have second, more serious problem with my dx100. During those plugging and uplugging of the usb cable all of a sudden my dx100 stopped display anything. I'm almost sure that this is not battery drainage since I had around 69% of the battery. Nothing helped. I did reset. I plugged it to the charger for 2 hours. But it did not wake up. Although it woke up for 2 secs when I pressed harder on the right side of the housing. Could battery or any other internal disconnect?

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #12,807 of 13,503
  Guys please help to fix my problems with dx100.

From the beginning my dx100 played only 3 hours with my CIEMs. So I ordered new battery from ibasso. After new battery arrived I thought that maybe the real problem is the software so I decided to install the firmware once again and then check the battery life. I had 1.2.7 and I wanted just to re-install it. I plugged dx100 to my laptop (Dell laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit) and the first problem was that it was not recognized (USD Device Not Recognized) and I couldn't get to the dx100 (if I pressed hard on the usb cable at the end which is connected with dx100 I could get the Android screen, but even if I got this screen and press Turn on mass storage dx100 was still not recognized by the laptop). However, after few plugging and unplugging laptop did recognize dx100 and I manage to sucesfully re-install the firmware. I had similar problems with dx100 while transferring all my music to it once I receive it.
Then, I wanted to transfer my music to the internal storage of dx100 (before re-installation I deleted all the music which I transferred to it once I received it) but I could not force the laptop to recognize dx100. Can someone please help me on this.

I have second, more serious problem with my dx100. During those plugging and uplugging of the usb cable all of a sudden my dx100 stopped display anything. I'm almost sure that this is not battery drainage since I had around 69% of the battery. Nothing helped. I did reset. I plugged it to the charger for 2 hours. But it did not wake up. Although it woke up for 2 secs when I pressed harder on the right side of the housing. Could battery or any other internal disconnect?

So many variables. Have you plugged in the charger? It is also possible the USB connection is going/is bad in the DX100. Did you try a different USB cable and a different port on your computer?

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #12,808 of 13,503
Regarding the second problem I assume it was battery casuing it. I replaced the battery and player works good.

Regarding usb connection the problem is with usb port of dx100. I bought second usb cable and plugged dx100 to other computer and I still cannot connect it. Only if I press hard on the end of the usb cable which inside of dx100 then the computer is recognizing the unit. I already contacted ibasso and they offered me free replacement of usb port (I will only have to pay for shipping).

Nov 29, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #12,810 of 13,503
My DX100 now thinks it's an hdp-r10, thanks to some Russian firmware,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/607423/i-basso-hdp-r-10-is-ibasso-dx-100-japan-version-impressions-thread/1410#post_11086429

It's certaimly stripped out the useless junk and the interface is much more useable. Sound seems good. It's been a while since i've had a long listening session with my dx. I plan to give it a couple of days with this FW and then revert back to my old fave 1.2.7 for comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back