iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 25, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #12,541 of 13,503
Optical cable cannot play 24-bit 192kHz.

Apr 25, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #12,543 of 13,503
I try to play mine 24/192 and no sound coming out and then I play 24/96 there's no problem. Something wrong with my player or my cable?

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #12,545 of 13,503
Can you please recommend me a few optical cable? Most probably I will get it from Amazon.com. Thanks in advance!

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #12,546 of 13,503
Just a question guys.  Has any of you seen the circuit topology like the DX90 shows with the two DACs?  I know the DX90 uses all four channels of the dual DACs.  And, the DX100 has a single 9018, but 8 channels.  Is the DX100 using all 8 channels?

Do you know where I can find the circuit topology of the DX100?

Apr 28, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #12,547 of 13,503

You need a better quality optical cable. Cheaper ones will not play 24/192. But good ones like those from Sys Concept Inc. will definitely work.

You can get cheap ones that play 24/192. I started out with a $2.50 one from Monoprice and then switched to one costing over 10x more from sys concept because they specifically mention theirs supports 24/196, whereas Monoprice just mentions theirs supports "High definition".

They both seem to work the same for me. Although it's a little embarrassing that Sys Concept lists their cable as supporting 24/196 instead of 24/192. Did everybody at their company miss that typo?

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=366

May 1, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #12,548 of 13,503
I was cought in heavy rain yesterday with the dx100 in my backpack, and when i got home and took it out it was soaking wet! I didn't know what to do, i thought it was the end for it. Anyway I decided to try and turn it on and voila! It worked as if nothing had happened!
Man this is one well built device!
It scared the crap out of me though

May 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #12,549 of 13,503
As for the DX90's power, Jamato is able to drive an HE560 not sure how it compares to the AD with regards to efficiency.

For the sound, it is yet to be heard by many but Jamato seems to suggest that it is as good as the DX100. This is sound quality. As for the sound signature, no idea yet.

For the dual headphone size, well I guess, it is the Dx100 and R10 then.

+1 to gamefreak's suggestion on ibasso not supporting hibino. Not sure how much Hibino would charge for them. Unless you're not on the go, being plugged is the solution of the short battery life :wink:

seriously? i've had a good laugh at what kind of comments and speculations people can come out of from this forum. you have no phyical proof, neither have you auditioned the player personally. so maybe we should all quit speculatiing the impossibilities.
heres a read in the chinese forums about the dx90, fiio x5 in comparison with the older models. they also used dx100 as a benchmark for some. the dx100, apart from its UI, its still a class of its own.
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1636596

as for fellow dx100 users still hoping that iBasso are in the midst of developing firmware upgrades for the player, we all have to be realistic at some point in time. even though the DAC and AMP are top notched, the processor of the device is not. there is only so much you can expect from firmware updates, the processor is just not up for it. i've long resigned to it, and learned to live with the lag. it's the sound quality we are after anyway.

May 3, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #12,550 of 13,503
as for fellow dx100 users still hoping that iBasso are in the midst of developing firmware upgrades for the player, we all have to be realistic at some point in time. even though the DAC and AMP are top notched, the processor of the device is not. there is only so much you can expect from firmware updates, the processor is just not up for it. i've long resigned to it, and learned to live with the lag. it's the sound quality we are after anyway.

I for one have no doubt that iBasso will never release another firmware version for the dx100. However, many moons ago there was talk of ibasso releasing the API to third parties to develop software which had access to the sabre chip in all it's glory. All it would take is for the rockbox community to get a hold of this and for me that is problem solved. You can install the android version of rockbox on the dx100 easily right now but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the stock player. I live in hope....

May 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #12,551 of 13,503
seriously? i've had a good laugh at what kind of comments and speculations people can come out of from this forum. you have no phyical proof, neither have you auditioned the player personally. so maybe we should all quit speculatiing the impossibilities.
heres a read in the chinese forums about the dx90, fiio x5 in comparison with the older models. they also used dx100 as a benchmark for some. the dx100, apart from its UI, its still a class of its own.
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1636596

No disagreement here, but I'll add that I have a DX100 and my son has a DX90.  I have gone between them at length and I feel the DX100 (w/ firmware 1.2.7) is still technically "better" to my ears, with a slightly more balanced sound signature that provides just a touch more soundstage. 

However, the DX90 really sounds good and has an enjoyable full sound with a little bass emphasis.  Given that the DX90 is approximately half the price of a DX100, it would be hard not to recommend the DX90 first unless someone had demanding headphones or needed a feature that the DX90 doesn't have such as optical out, 1/4" headphone jack, search function etc.

Once they fix the media scanning bug on the DX90, I'm tempted to pick one up for myself.

May 3, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #12,552 of 13,503
The DX100 is still better than the DX90 from a SQ perspective.  I have both units and the DX90 just doesn't give me the same satisfaction in sound that the DX100 does.  However the UI and lack of DSD support or exfat support on microsd may dismay some users.  The replaceable battery on the DX90 and the usb charging are also great features.

May 4, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #12,553 of 13,503
Couldn't resist, bought a second hand DX100 yesterday. The sound is pretty good, very clean w black background. The UI is ok, I got used to it after a few min play.

One thing though, the battery drops pretty fast even when I switch it off (long press the power botton like other android phones). I think it lost about 30% juice after less than 10 hours even when off. Is it normal?

May 4, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #12,554 of 13,503
Couldn't resist, bought a second hand DX100 yesterday. The sound is pretty good, very clean w black background. The UI is ok, I got used to it after a few min play.

One thing though, the battery drops pretty fast even when I switch it off (long press the power botton like other android phones). I think it lost about 30% juice after less than 10 hours even when off. Is it normal?

That's not normal, after long press power button it prompts if you want to shutdown, if you press yrs then it powers off completely.  You can tell by the sound of the relay switch clicking.  Losing 30% in 10 hours souns more like it wqs on standby still powered on.  I can leave my 2 year old DX100 powered off for a week and it doesn't lose that much charge.

May 4, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #12,555 of 13,503
That's not normal, after long press power button it prompts if you want to shutdown, if you press yrs then it powers off completely.  You can tell by the sound of the relay switch clicking.  Losing 30% in 10 hours souns more like it wqs on standby still powered on.  I can leave my 2 year old DX100 powered off for a week and it doesn't lose that much charge.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try again tonight and see if it's still the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back