iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Dec 18, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #9,586 of 13,503
I don't doubt (and know, tried se535 special edition, se530, 35c, heir 3ai/4ai, westone um3x, 4r with them already) the dx100 is awesometacular for IEMs...it most certainly is with the amp built in....personally I just need things to be a bit more portable for IEM usage so that's why I'm stepping toward the Sony Walkman lines....I know I'll take a hit in the SQ but the form/portability/UI/convenience factor I'm thinking should make up for it...jury is still out...need to wait till my friend comes back from Japan after the holidays to bring my player.

Thanks for the tip on the T1, looking into it....already have pico slim and this one looks interesting.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #9,587 of 13,503
Roger that - the DX100 requires you to be wearing a jacket or at least have some pretty damn serious jeans pockets. I've had mine in the LowePro Tahoe 30 hung from my belt loop - with ciems in my ears I can't hear people laughing at me anyway.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #9,588 of 13,503
Quote:
I don't doubt (and know, tried se535 special edition, se530, 35c, heir 3ai/4ai, westone um3x, 4r with them already) the dx100 is awesometacular for IEMs...it most certainly is with the amp built in....personally I just need things to be a bit more portable for IEM usage so that's why I'm stepping toward the Sony Walkman lines....I know I'll take a hit in the SQ but the form/portability/UI/convenience factor I'm thinking should make up for it...jury is still out...need to wait till my friend comes back from Japan after the holidays to bring my player.

Thanks for the tip on the T1, looking into it....already have pico slim and this one looks interesting.

No problem just keep in mind I'm talking about the Tralucent T1 amp and not the ibasso T1 :wink:.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #9,589 of 13,503
Quote:
No problem just keep in mind I'm talking about the Tralucent T1 amp and not the ibasso T1 :wink:.

...or Beyerdynamic T1 for that matter 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #9,590 of 13,503
Quote:
...or Beyerdynamic T1 for that matter 
biggrin.gif

lmao yeah too many T1s :p. For what it's worth the T1 is better than the O2 and UHA6 MKII IMO although I did find the UHA6 to have better synergy with my DACport LX on the desktop. But for portable use the T1 was the clear winner with the DX100 (a match made in heaven). Recently an owner of the Pico Slim and T1 posted comparisons between the two and the T1 is the clear winner from what I read :).

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:59 AM Post #9,591 of 13,503
I have been lucky enough to beta test the Heir Rendition 1 amp - currently available for preorder at $279. You guys might want to check that out as well 
smile.gif

I have no idea how it stacks up against the T1 but it adds better sound staging to my customs. And a more controlled punch to them as well, I think. I just got word about the final version of the amp and it is going to look pretty damn nice I believe.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #9,592 of 13,503
That looks pretty nice. With the T1 on my DX100 the Sound staging is noticeably wider and has more depth at the same time. Overall the sound stage is more balanced to my ears. How the presentation is set up just makes everything that much more apparent and enjoyable to listen to. Bass goes deeper, mids appear to be more upfront and treble is as detailed as ever. I think the presentation just flushes everything out that much more. A full and balanced sound if you will :).

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #9,593 of 13,503
Listening with the Ultrasone Ed. 9, fi.Q (ultra configured and modified) and the DX. Great stuff!!  John Mayall, The Turning Point.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #9,594 of 13,503
Quote:
Listening with the Ultrasone Ed. 9, fi.Q (ultra configured and modified) and the DX. Great stuff!!  John Mayall, The Turning Point.

A rare bird, the Ed. 9! The HD650 in your sig does damn well with the DX100 too. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #9,596 of 13,503
Quote:
SQ is all that matters to me, I don't care about memory, UI, battery, high powered amp etc 
but nor do I care about wifi and apps when I want to listen to music.

very VERY confused...
can't get the 801 in UK any more
901 is still a myth to me
C4 won't do 24/96 flac and has no line out
DX100 seems to need a degree in Cobalt to make it work!

I think the first 500 pages of this thread do a disservice to the DX100. And all the good folks here talking about extra amps, capacitors, rooting, and APIs are, LITERALLY, scaring new buyers away. They almost scared me away. But I've had my DX100 for a week and I've found that virtually nothing they talk about applies to the average user, like me. 

New users who like to fully research equipment, like me, feel compelled to read through hundreds of these pages, starting from page 1. But the device now is nothing like what has been described in the first 500 pages. It's MUCH better. I think there should be a separate thread for the extreme modders.

For people out there thinking about getting the DX100, it is not nearly as complicated as the advanced users who do most the posting in this thread make it out to be. You turn it on, you load a file, you plug in your headphones, and then play. That's it! The UI is below average, but it's not completely unusable and it's not as slow as they would have you believe. I wouldn't compare speed and usability to the latest Android phone but, once again, it's not as bad as you would think by reading about all the mods people are doing. It takes less than 60 seconds to  boot up and start playing a song. That's less than my Androdid phone!

Given all what I said, this thread is still my primary place for information. Thanks all...

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #9,597 of 13,503
Quote:

I think the first 500 pages of this thread do a disservice to the DX100. And all the good folks here talking about extra amps, capacitors, rooting, and APIs are, LITERALLY, scaring new buyers away. They almost scared me away. But I've had my DX100 for a week and I've found that virtually nothing they talk about applies to the average user, like me.  

New users who like to fully research equipment, like me, feel compelled to read through hundreds of these pages, starting from page 1. But the device now is nothing like what has been described in the first 500 pages. It's MUCH better. I think there should be a [size=10pt]separate [/size]thread for the extreme modders.

[size=10pt]For people out there thinking about getting the DX100, it is not nearly as complicated as the advanced users who do most the posting in this thread make it out to be. You turn it on, you load a file, you plug in your headphones, and then play. That's it! The UI is below average, but it's not completely unusable and it's not as slow as they would have you believe. I wouldn't compare speed and usability to the latest Android phone but, once again, it's not as bad as you would think by reading about all the mods people are doing. It takes less than 60 seconds to  boot up and start playing a song. That's less than my Androdid phone![/size]

[size=10pt]Given all what I said, this thread is still my primary place for information. Thanks all...[/size]

I think I stated a couple of pages back that if it was all that complicated and required a lot of work, I would not have time for it. The DX has a line out so why not mention amps used?

I do find it very easy to use and unlike many, I don't have any, not any, issues with the UI. Plug in and play for me. :^)

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #9,598 of 13,503
Quote:
A rare bird, the Ed. 9! The HD650 in your sig does damn well with the DX100 too. 

Yes, you don't read much about them now. They are polarizing on like or not but I find them open and very dimensional. I have some of the last made, number 1010.

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #9,599 of 13,503
Quote:
I think I stated a couple of pages back that if it was all that complicated and required a lot of work, I would not have time for it. The DX has a line out so why not mention amps used?

I do find it very easy to use and unlike many, I don't have any, not any, issues with the UI. Plug in and play for me. :^)

Well there are some issues remaining on the UI and to not mention them IMO would be like trying to hide something. Not pointing anything at you though jamato. Just it is better to be transparent on the matter to help others out with determining if the unit is right for them or not. I for one am quite anal yet can be quite easy to satisfy depending on the scenario. I still expect ibasso to fix the fade in at the beginning of each track upon manually switching tracks, and allowing the DX100 to update playlists in alphabetical order instead of when they are synced (playlist names). There is still the issue with the chip monks on 24 bit files once in a while and that would be nice if they fix that as well. Pretty much other than those issues I'm generally quite satisfied with my unit. If they could manage to also tear out most of the bloatware from the UI and make it more responsive that would be a big plus. Just allow for turning on certain features such as wifi (when necessary) and all is good :).

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #9,600 of 13,503
Quote:
Well there are some issues remaining on the UI and to not mention them IMO would be like trying to hide something. Not pointing anything at you though jamato. Just it is better to be transparent on the matter to help others out with determining if the unit is right for them or not. I for one am quite anal yet can be quite easy to satisfy depending on the scenario. I still expect ibasso to fix the fade in at the beginning of each track upon manually switching tracks, and allowing the DX100 to update playlists in alphabetical order instead of when they are synced (playlist names). There is still the issue with the chip monks on 24 bit files once in a while and that would be nice if they fix that as well. Pretty much other than those issues I'm generally quite satisfied with my unit. If they could manage to also tear out most of the bloatware from the UI and make it more responsive that would be a big plus. Just allow for turning on certain features such as wifi (when necessary) and all is good :).

Sure, if anyone has issues they should be mentioned. I guess I should make it clear that for "me" there aren't any issues and I am a happy camper in -20 degree weather up here in Alaska. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back