iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Oct 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #8,626 of 13,503
My reply to ibasso: [size=x-small]Thank you very much. I woul[size=x-small]dn't be pestering you guys [size=x-small]if I didn't believe in you. Your product can be "t[size=x-small]he Audiophile DAP". Don't give [size=x-small]the crown back t[size=x-small]o Hi[size=x-small]fiman.

[size=x-small]Aloha :).[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
[/size]

Reply from ibasso :

Hi,
Allright.  I promise if Figgle has any good suggestions, we will take them into consideration.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

2012/10/25 <my response to their earlier email>
figgie had contacted you guys regarding solutions to these very problems. Please work with him. This will not only help you but also help all the owners of the DX100. Your product is near perfection. Where there is a will there is a way. The fact that you said there was no way to reduce the pop of the DX100 because it is a part of the hardware and not changeable and the fact that on 1.2.7 it is indeed much less noticeable. This tells me you guys can fix these issues, you are just not trying hard enough. Instead of excuses please come up with solutions. figgie is one of those very solutions and he will help you to get things working properly. Just help him help everyone. Thanks.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM Post #8,627 of 13,503
I put my DX100 (latest firmware) to sleep by just hitting the side button with around 35% battery life. 5 hours later it is at 15%. 

I still don't think it is going to last one day in standby mode....

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8,628 of 13,503
Quote:
I put my DX100 (latest firmware) to sleep by just hitting the side button with around 35% battery life. 5 hours later it is at 15%. 

I still don't think it is going to last one day in standby mode....

Use the method I said. Kill all processes (music player, google play, settings). Then attempt to shut player off. Once you do this and it prompts you to select yes or no ignore this screen and press the power button again to turn off screen. Also if you didn't do a factory restore upon installing this new firmware then do so. Go into privacy settings and select reset back to factory settings. Leave delete SD card unchecked. Once your unit is rebooted then go into settings and stop and clear the music player process and media storage process. Then turn off player and turn it back on, letting it fully index (give it time and don't mess with it during this time).

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #8,629 of 13,503
Haven't kept up with this thread in sometime. I've always liked firmware 1.10 and so have stuck to it. What is the current firmware of choice? 1.17? 1.23? 

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #8,630 of 13,503
Quote:
Use the method I said. Kill all processes (music player, google play, settings). Then attempt to shut player off. Once you do this and it prompts you to select yes or no ignore this screen and press the power button again to turn off screen. Also if you didn't do a factory restore upon installing this new firmware then do so. Go into privacy settings and select reset back to factory settings. Leave delete SD card unchecked. Once your unit is rebooted then go into settings and stop and clear the music player process and media storage process. Then turn off player and turn it back on, letting it fully index (give it time and don't mess with it during this time).

I have tried your method previously and it did not work. It takes so many button presses I might as well turn the DX100 totally off.... As I said, I think you have a "special" unit which is different from the rest of us.... you keep saying you have no battery drain issue when I see it all the time. It is not just the 1.2.3 firmware. I had it before I updated to the 1.2.3 firmware. 

Why must I factory reset my DX100??? will it erase my music in my internal storage?

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #8,631 of 13,503
Quote:

I have tried your method previously and it did not work. It takes so many button presses I might as well turn the DX100 totally off.... As I said, I think you have a "special" unit which is different from the rest of us.... you keep saying you have no battery drain issue when I see it all the time. It is not just the 1.2.3 firmware. I had it before I updated to the 1.2.3 firmware. 

Why must I factory reset my DX100??? will it erase my music in my internal storage?

No it should not erase your music. Also there are others who have confirmed that the sleep mode works appropriately. I recommend you do the factory reset so it removes 1.2.3 settings from your DAP as it does carry settings of 1.2.3 over with the new firmware which can and will interfere. If you are still having issues regarding sleep mode even after doing what I said then you have an RMA on your hands.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #8,633 of 13,503
iBasso Replied...

Hello, Figgie,
Thank you very much for your concern and information. It is my pleasure to get your assistance.

We have decided to add an option to choose ordering on the "now playing list".  We will consider your suggestion and information when we are developing this function.

Most of the fade in issue was heard when manually select tracks. I would like to quoted some information that I used to reply other people's email that has the similar question.  Please read that first.  You can use it to understand all fade in situations.

Lets assume the followig three situations;
1, manually select a track. No matter it is 16/44.1 or 24/192
2, DX100 plays a 16/44.1 track, then a 24/192 track
3, DX100 plays some 16/44.1 tracks consecutively

On the situation 1, the DX100's I2S signal would be paused, then play the next track, and start the new I2S signal. Therefore, the DAC has to be re-activated. the DAC the mute function is enabled. So, you can hear the fade in.

On the situation 2, the DX100 would be re-actived due to the different bite rate and sample rate. The mute function would be enabled, and fade in is incurred as well.

On the situation 3, we use a command that is similar to the gapless to connect the first track and the second track since the sample rate and bit rate are same. As a result, DAC re-activation is not needed. Sliding the orange scroll bar to the end means the last second of the track is selected. The DX100 would play the next track consecutively. There is not "pause" command. There is not fade in.

As you can see, no matter how we change the ordering, manually selecting tracks will incur the fade in. 

Best Regards,
iBasso Audio

I understand the I2s re-intialize. So I am sending them more examples. will post my email to them in a few. :) I think this should polish of the very minor fade-in issue as it is just logic.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #8,634 of 13,503
OK, I just read your review of the 4.ai, so now I'd like to re-phrase my question: E500 Vs 4.a1?

Sorry mate, haven't heard the Shures, but try the 4.Ai thread here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/621602/heir-audio-4-ai-appreciation-impression-review-thread

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #8,635 of 13,503
Quote:
1.1.7 or 1.2.7. 1.2.7 is clearly the winner of them all in both sound and features.

1.2.3 is complete crap.

Thanks, 

I recall with 1.10 there being some gain issues between EQ set dead center and EQ off. The former I believe was harsh and forward and the latter relaxed and more expansive. iBasso still plagued by these silly complications? On 1.27 what's your preference? 

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #8,636 of 13,503
Quote:
Thanks, 

I recall with 1.10 there being some gain issues between EQ set dead center and EQ off. The former I believe was harsh and forward and the latter relaxed and more expansive. iBasso still plagued by these silly complications? On 1.27 what's your preference? 

No comparison at all. EQ works perfectly on 1.2.7. I prefer to use EQ off as it sounds best that way without artificial boosting of the frequencies. 1.10 is not comparable to 1.2.7 at all in sound quality or functionality. 1.2.7 is the best followed by 1.1.7.

1.2.7 has made this player comparable to my DACport LX which is a huge feat IMO. Before on 1.1.7 it was a really good DAP but still not comparable to my desktop rig. Now it is very much comparable.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #8,637 of 13,503
here is what I wrote back. I hope i was a bit more clear this time around

iBasso,

Thank you for the information.

I understand the I2s fade in issue on DAC re-activation.

when you manually forward or select a track. Your logic in the player automatically includes the fade-in. The fix for that is that it should ONLY fade in if the track is in a DIFFERENT album. If the track selected is part of the same album (like using the orange scrub bar) there is no reason to re-activate the DAC as there is no album that has a bit rate change mid album.

Using your example below.

Lets assume the followig three situations;
1, manually select a track. No matter it is 16/44.1 or 24/192
2, DX100 plays a 16/44.1 track, then a 24/192 track
3, DX100 plays some 16/44.1 tracks consecutively

On 1, this should only happen when the user uses a playlist or selects music from a different album. If user selects manually from same album, the bit rate does not change ;the coding logic is

On track next or manual selection
if album_name not changed then no DAC re-activaton
Else album_name change then DAC reactivation.

What you are doing is tieing the DAC reactivation on album change and only on album change instead of every time you select a new track. This will minimize the fade-in to only one time per album instead of every single time you select a track. I hope I am being clear on this and find this information helpful into making a good player GREAT. :)

2, This option takes place when the album is changed as there is no album in existance that will change bitrate from 16/44 to 24/192 in the middle of the album. The DAC reactivation should only take place on Album change and not in the middle of the album. :)

The logic flows almost like 1,

if album_name not changed then no DAC re-activaton
Else album_name change then DAC reactivation.
end_if

3, this is the typical result of playing an album from the first track to the last track and the fade-in is not there. That is optimal and should be there even if a user selects a track manually within the same album.

In short, the fade in can be programmed on a per album basis instead of a per track next basis. This will help with the fade-in issue that the users are reporting.

The per track fade in is also based on how iBasso reads the file structure which is natively. You should read it via the file.input stream and allow for the user to sort by

Artist name
Album Name
Song Name

This will then put the sorting needed to help with the fade-in on once per album (have to add the function to your code),

Artist Name Sorting

Artist Name:  Andrea Bocelli
   Album Name: Amore
   Album Name: Aria - The Opera
   Album Name: Concerto, One night in Central Park
   Album Name: Sacred Arias

Artist Name: Aventura
   Albun Name: The Last

Artist Name: Bon Jovi
   Album Name: Crush
   Album Name: Have a Nice Day
   Album Name: Slippery When Wet

Album Sort (using above examples):

Album Name: Amore
Album Name: Aria - The Opera
Album Name: Concerto, One Night in Central Park
Album Name: Crush
Album Name: Have a Nice Day
Album Name: Sacred Arias
Album Name: Slippery When Wet
Album Name: The Last

In those two sorts, the DAC reactivation should ONLY take place when the user selects a track from a different album. If the user selects a track within the album (Sacred Arias), the DAC has no reason to reactivate.

I hope this communicates the idea of what is needed to fix the fade in issue.

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #8,639 of 13,503
Quote:
On my above post, does everyone understand what I am proposing?

If not, I am sure iBasso will not. :wink:

figgie do you speak Chinese? That may make it much easier for them to understand if the language barrier is in the way :wink:. Then translate to English for us :p. lol

I think the directions are thorough though :).

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #8,640 of 13,503
On my above post, does everyone understand what I am proposing?

If not, I am sure iBasso will not. :wink:

*Raises hand*
I do scripting for a living, logic and pseudo code is what I look at for 8 hours a day whil listening to my DX100 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back