iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions, Downloads, VIDEO, NEW Firmware 1.4.2.
Apr 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #4,831 of 13,503

Quote:

No difference whatsoever. 10 is stil sorted before 02 in the stock player...

Dear Ibasso
We love the DX100 to bits, but get your $#!7 together and fix the stock player.
Sincerely, Every DX100 Owner in the world.

What I found out is kinda strange it doesn't do it by tag but seems to be doing it by the order that it gets copied onto the player. So i've been manually making folders then copying one song at a time into the album folders and that fixed the problem for me. I also have them tagged as "1,2,3,4, etc" just in case :p

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #4,832 of 13,503

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time today making sure all my tags and file names are in place as they should be. All track numbers now have two digits - no more, no less. 01 in stead of 1 or 1/14 etc. Once that was in place (using actions in Mp3Tag) I renamed all files to %track% - %title% (i.e.  05 - Set Fire To The Rain in stead of "Adele - 21 - 5 - Set Fire To The rain". This should ensure that tracks are listed in order, no matter if they're listed by file name or title tag. 

As soon as I'm done re-downloading all the covers, I'll see if it helped... If I at least can establish a consistent way to have the tracks displayed and played properly, I can work around the quirks. 

Looks like you have a major case of OCD just like me :wink:

Now Im in a dilema of recovering my data from a dieing drive. Hopefully if I replace the electrical connection that will at least allow me to pull the rest of my data off. That could be it though, crossing fingers.

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #4,833 of 13,503
Looks like you have a major case of OCD just like me :wink:

Now Im in a dilema of recovering my data from a dieing drive. Hopefully if I replace the electrical connection that will at least allow me to pull the rest of my data off. That could be it though, crossing fingers.

Good luck, Lee, I feel your pain!

Let me know if you succeed! (fingers crossed...)

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #4,834 of 13,503
What I found out is kinda strange it doesn't do it by tag but seems to be doing it by the order that it gets copied onto the player. So i've been manually making folders then copying one song at a time into the album folders and that fixed the problem for me. I also have them tagged as "1,2,3,4, etc" just in case :p

This is exactly how the Hifiman players behave - or least the 602 behaved for me. It's reading the files from the fat32 lookup table and the order that they were added to it. I used a utility called Drivesort to reorder files - it worked well - but was still a pain having to do it.

Strangely I don't seem to be suffering this problem on the DX. When does it exhibit this behaviour ... browsing by directory, browsing by album...artist? Also is this on internal memory or on microSD... or both?

Apr 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #4,835 of 13,503

Quote:
This is exactly how the Hifiman players behave - or least the 602 behaved for me. It's reading the files from the fat32 lookup table and the order that they were added to it. I used a utility called Drivesort to reorder files - it worked well - but was still a pain having to do it.
Strangely I don't seem to be suffering this problem on the DX. When does it exhibit this behaviour ... browsing by directory, browsing by album...artist? Also is this on internal memory or on microSD... or both?

It does this both browsing by directory and by album. Need to check if it does it by artist. It is on the internal memory and waiting to get my microSD atm.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #4,836 of 13,503
I haven't had any problems with MP3 files (assuming they're tagged correctly) but the FLAC files list by order copied.  I too had to drag and drop by individual song to get them to display and play in order.  I believe my Squeezebox Touch also does this with FLAC files.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #4,837 of 13,503
he500 or lcd2rev2 for dx100?

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #4,838 of 13,503
Quote: Originally Posted by ikitub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he500 or lcd2rev2 for dx100?

At to how they work with it?? Very well. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #4,839 of 13,503
Quote: Originally Posted by ikitub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At to how they work with it?? Very well. 

My interpretation was that the question meant which of the two is preferable for use with the DX100, in which case, though I openly admit I haven't heard them, I suspect it'd come down to how much transparency one requires.

Apr 16, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #4,840 of 13,503
Quote:
My interpretation was that the question meant which of the two is preferable for use with the DX100, in which case, though I openly admit I haven't heard them, I suspect it'd come down to how much transparency one requires.

I have the HE500, which is an excellent synergy, open, dynamic and transparent and the LCD2 ver 1, though out of the two I had, the one I have now is the most delicate and refined so there are variations, and with this LCD2, the sound is also excellent, though a little different than the HE500 so preference might also be dictated by mood. 

I am noticing that after 300 hours of run time on the DX100, the sound has melded into a very coherent display of an audio panorama of sound. At around 250 hours the sound, to my ear, turned down for a while, with less detail and a slightly muddier sound. This is something I have heard in other amps as the caps form, etc, though times may differ. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4,841 of 13,503
thanks for the reply. so based from you, which cans do you use often? 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #4,842 of 13,503
Quote:
thanks for the reply. so based from you, which cans do you use often? 

Koss Porta Pros, modified. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #4,843 of 13,503

CNET Editors' Rating

4.0 stars Excellent

Priced At: $41.74 to $49.00
Review Date: 4/22/08

Average User Rating

4.0 stars out of 115 user reviews

The good: The Koss PortaPro Headphones combine a functional design with excellent 3D sound and a low price tag.
The bad: Hair gets caught in the collapsible band; some people will dislike the '80s aesthetic.
The bottom line: Koss hit a home run with the PortaPros. Love or hate the design, there's no denying the sound quality here: they're the ideal companion for mobile audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts.

Low Price: $41.74
  1. Amazon.com $42.14
  2. J&R Music and Computer World $49.00
  3. Amazon.com Marketplace $41.74
Set price alert
With so many funky headphone designs flooding the market right now, it's getting harder and harder to choose which one to buy. Instead of showing you the latest snazzy set of cans, we're taking you back in time to showcase the Koss PortaPros. These headphones are the ultimate in retro chic and are guaranteed to get a few comments, but you won't hear them thanks to the beautiful symphony of sound flooding your ears. For $50, we're hard-pressed to find another set that rivals their sound quality and quirky design.
The first thing you'll notice about the PortaPros is that they look like something from the 1980s. That's because they are--Koss released these exact headphones in 1984 and they became so popular that Koss hasn't changed a thing for 23 years. These headphones retain the same design both internally and externally. The earcups are secured to your head by a thin steel headband that adjusts with two sliders that tighten and loosen the tension. Once you have them in place, the PortaPros are actually very comfortable--they're featherweight and additional cushions on top of the ear pads prevent the headset from slipping. The comfort level is taken a step further with what Koss calls their "Comfort Zone." This feature has three mechanical settings that let you adjust the tension of the earpiece against your head. The downside is that there's no way to lock the headband in place and the sliders like to get caught in your hair as you take them on and off. This also becomes a problem when you want to rest the headphones around your neck--the band immediately tightens up and practically strangles you.
On the plus side, the PortaPros also fold up and clip together for relatively convenient storage. The overall design of the PortaPros is hit or miss. Not everyone will be keen on the design, but we actually love the way the headphones look. The light blue touches and extended hardware conjure fond memories of a time when Marty McFly, Lobot, and Tron ruled the world, and who are we to argue with a 23-year dedicated following?

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4,844 of 13,503
I am listening to Talking Heads Little Creatures, Television Man, and what excellent sound. Using the PortaPros. Great fun and a good combo with the dX100. I had to look as I thought it was a hirez but it is normal Cd. Excellent bass impact, musical tones and excitement. The DX is continuing to delight with audio pyrotechnics. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #4,845 of 13,503

Quote:
Quote:
I have the HE500, which is an excellent synergy, open, dynamic and transparent and the LCD2 ver 1, though out of the two I had, the one I have now is the most delicate and refined so there are variations, and with this LCD2, the sound is also excellent, though a little different than the HE500 so preference might also be dictated by mood. 

I am noticing that after 300 hours of run time on the DX100, the sound has melded into a very coherent display of an audio panorama of sound. At around 250 hours the sound, to my ear, turned down for a while, with less detail and a slightly muddier sound. This is something I have heard in other amps as the caps form, etc, though times may differ. 

I had the same phenomenon with my DX100. However, it wasn't as extreme as the Triad L3 at around 500 hours, I thought I had damaged it as the sound was so dead in signature. I ran it over night, thinking I would return it the next day if it sounded the same and to my astonishment when I next listened, it was like a different beast! The sound opened up completely!

My DX100 is sounding pretty stunning now as a source to the L3 for IEMs and as a DAP to recently purchased Headphones. It has been running literally non stop since purchased, and the sound has completely fallen into place. The edginess has disappeared completely. The balance and coherency is tops! The soundstaging is beyond belief, incredible in all three axis. On some well recorded music it is projecting 1/2ft in front, beyond shoulders in width and around 1 1/2ft behind and this is with the red SE535ltd with a silver/gold hybrid cable, which supposedly don't image so well!!!  

Also, the DX100's amp section besides the Triad, is the only amp that can drive the 300ohm HD650 convincingly, all my other 3 portable amps failed miserably, including the 2Stepdance. These amps all lost grip and control of the bass, sounding muddled, flat and woolly at best. With Headphones the DX100 is closing the gap with the Triad L3 sound quality wise and again supports my observations that it is tuned towards Headphones rather than IEMs. I am still looking for the sweet spot regarding ohms. I should be receiving my pair of Shure SRH 1840 by this weekend hopefully, and that is rated at 65ohm. The DT1350 has a rating of 80ohm and sounds good with the DX100 having a total grip and control over them. I will be buying many more Headphones and IEM to experiment with, the list is building..........
tongue_smile.gif

It would be interesting to see how the DX100 move forward from here! I will be getting lots of cables for Headphones and with the supreme ability of the DX100 in detail retrieval, I think I will get the sonics that I wish for via the DX100 and used as a bedside rig!!! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back