iBasso D3 Python
Oct 18, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #92 of 101
Easy question: So when I connect the D3 to my notebook via USB, it still needs batteries to operate? What's the sense in that if that is the case?

Someone mentioned that compared to the Pico I might not notice the difference really? Is that really the case because it would make it easier for me to just maybe stop considering the Pico?

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #93 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverstonettl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easy question: So when I connect the D3 to my notebook via USB, it still needs batteries to operate? What's the sense in that if that is the case?

Someone mentioned that compared to the Pico I might not notice the difference really? Is that really the case because it would make it easier for me to just maybe stop considering the Pico?

It depends if you use line out only you do not need to use battery power...if you use the DAC with the amp you will be using battery power...some reviews have noted about 100 hours on battery power!!!!

Get a set of eneloop, they are the best rechargeables right now!

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #94 of 101
Quote:

If you prefer an internal rechargeable battery, the iBasso D2 Boa DAC/amp charges from the USB connection (it can charge while playing). It lacks the line-out feature of the D3, and the amp has a different architecture and a different power supply.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #95 of 101
Quote:

In theory, you'll get better sound quality if both the DAC and the amplifier are isolated from USB power. The better USB DAC makers like Wavelength, Red Wine Audio, and Scott Nixon all advertise that they don't use USB for powering the DAC, just for the data channel.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #96 of 101
Just want to say I got my D3 in incredibly short time. I ordered it about noonish on Friday CST and got shipping confirmation on Monday morning. The Python arrives this morning...from Hong Kong!!!

Oct 29, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #97 of 101
I ordered mine on Friday and it arrived today as well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MZ6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to say I got my D3 in incredibly short time. I ordered it about noonish on Friday CST and got shipping confirmation on Monday morning. The Python arrives this morning...from Hong Kong!!!

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #99 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZaWorld /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If i plan to use the D3 as an DAC/AMP with the ac adapter and no batteries, then wouldn't the D2 be a better choice?

The D3 doesn't use an AC adapter - the amp section requires batteries or it wont run a headphone. The DAC section and line-out work fine off USB power alone without batteries, for feeding a full size amplifier or another portable amplifier from the line out. So, if used only as a DAC you don't need batteries or a charger. But to use it as a headphone amp without batteries there is no music unless you plug a headphone into the line out, which works with varying levels of success depending on the headphone. For example, a Sennheiser 16 ohm IE8 sounds just okay with line-out and without much volume (low but useable levels). But a 300 ohm HD600 is actually slightly louder and more full range than the 16 ohm IEM because it needs voltage more than current, which the line out can provide.

The D2 runs both DAC and Amp off the battery, but you can keep the battery forever charged if you leave the switch flipped while plugged into USB, this risks wearing out the battery faster with a bunch of short discharge/recharge cycles. And, the D2 doesn't offer a line-out function.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #100 of 101
Upon ordering the D3, they want $219 for the amp + $1017 for shipping
confused_face.gif
= $1236

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #101 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by PG21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Upon ordering the D3, they want $219 for the amp + $1017 for shipping
confused_face.gif
= $1236

Yeah, but that is to get it delivered a week before you order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back