iBasso D2 - trouble listening through USB
Jul 20, 2009 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Joe91

Head-Fier
I bought a second hand D2 Boa from here not long ago, didn't come with instructions.

This is my first headphone amp/USB DAC so I'm a little unsure how to use it. I assumed that after connecting the USB cable to the amp and switching it on I would hear the sound through it. Instead, both on my MacBook and my PC I am having a hard time doing this. Most of the time it plays directly through the speakers and not my headphones. There have been a few times where it's worked but I'm not sure what I've done differently.

The link light turns on when connected so I'm guessing the problem doesn't lie with the connection.

Cheers
beerchug.gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 8
^ +1

Set it as the default ouput soundcard of your computer.
It will appear like "USB speaker" or so. When the Boa is disconnected, then your OS will use the other soundcard without alter anything. When connecting the Boa again...back to use it without any action required.

Jul 20, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 8
Ok, so I've got open the 'Sounds and Audio Devices Properties' box and under the Hardware tab 'USB Audio Device' is listed there at the bottom. That's the only place I can see anything about a USB DAC.

For the life of me I can't find where to change it to the default audio device though. Any pointers?

Jul 20, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a second hand D2 Boa from here not long ago, didn't come with instructions.

This is my first headphone amp/USB DAC so I'm a little unsure how to use it. I assumed that after connecting the USB cable to the amp and switching it on I would hear the sound through it. Instead, both on my MacBook and ....

Cheers
beerchug.gif

For Mac
1. Plug in your DAC
2. Go to "System Preferences"
3. Click on "Sound"
4. Choose the "Output" tab
5. You should see something like "USB Audio CODEC" on the list..choose it

That's it!
regular_smile .gif

Jul 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #6 of 8
On the MacBook first go to "System Preferences -> Sound -> Output", then select the output device.
You want to use the one not labeled 'Internal Speakers'.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks guys. Working all good now on my Mac, but still haven't trouble with the PC.

Jul 20, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Joe are you running vista... if so go to the speaker in the bottom right corner of the screen after you have plugged in the device. Right click the speaker and select playback devices. there should be a list of devices, the USB Dac is the one you want to select. Make it your default device then open your music program and listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back