iBasso D2 or D10
Apr 17, 2009 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MR. Hmm

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,

I am looking for a good head-fi system. I am often away from my stereo system in the weekends, so I need some good Headphones and a head-amp to replace it.

I have seen the akg k 272 HD, they look nice and fits my budget very well. So I will buy them soon (out of stock right now
frown.gif
).

So I am looking for a head-amp witch can drive the akg k 272 HD. The source will be my Pc, so I am looking for a amp with USB and a DAC.

I have been looking on the internet. I found the iBasso D2 witch seems to have the features I want. I have some questions though.

1. The iBasso D2 are battery driven, and charged by usb, can it play music and charge at the same time?

2. If I am not near my Pc, can I then charge it from the normal power outlet and can it play music and charge at the same time?

3. If I want to buy some better headphones one day, for example akg k 701 or Sennheiser HD 600 can they then be driven by the iBasso D2? Or will I need a bigger amp like the D10 for that?

I hope some of you can answer my questions
normal_smile .gif

Regards; MR. Hmm.

Apr 18, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 19
MR. Hmm;5616442 said:
Hello Head-fi,
2. If I am not near my Pc, can I then charge it from the normal power outlet and can it play music and charge at the same time?<<

Yes...you can buy a wall wart that has a USB plug. Try E-bay. IIRC, they're not that expensive

>>>3. If I want to buy some better headphones one day, for example akg k 701 or Sennheiser HD 600 can they then be driven by the iBasso D2? Or will I need a bigger amp like the D10 for that?<<

Can't say for the D-2, but it should drive those phones. If the D10 isn't much more expensive, why not get it ??

Apr 18, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by MR. Hmm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Head-fi,

I am looking for a good head-fi system. I am often away from my stereo system in the weekends, so I need some good Headphones and a head-amp to replace it.

I have seen the akg k 272 HD, they look nice and fits my budget very well. So I will buy them soon (out of stock right now
frown.gif
).

So I am looking for a head-amp witch can drive the akg k 272 HD. The source will be my Pc, so I am looking for a amp with USB and a DAC.

I have been looking on the internet. I found the iBasso D2 witch seems to have the features I want. I have some questions though.

1. The iBasso D2 are battery driven, and charged by usb, can it play music and charge at the same time?

2. If I am not near my Pc, can I then charge it from the normal power outlet and can it play music and charge at the same time?

3. If I want to buy some better headphones one day, for example akg k 701 or Sennheiser HD 600 can they then be driven by the iBasso D2? Or will I need a bigger amp like the D10 for that?

I hope some of you can answer my questions
normal_smile .gif

Regards; MR. Hmm.

1. If you plug the USB and turn the charge switch on, it will start to charge. However, I don't think it is such a good idea to charge and play at the same time since D2 always run on battery (not on USB power) so you are draining power from battery and charging at the same time which could shorten the battery life.

2. I don't know if it is standard since I bought used but mine came with a little charger that I can plug into normal outlet and plug USB cable to charge the D2 Boa. Again, I wouldn't charge and play at the same time.

3. I wasn't very impressed by D2 with HD600. I do not know about D10 but it gets great review. I think it is much better than D2.

Oh, and I would rather put the money into better headphone that can be driven ampless rather than get a headphone + amp/dac combo, if you don't want to spend alot more for better amp/dac.
I think D2 has some limitation when driving full-sized cans.

Apr 18, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by mutzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is your D2 a D2 Boa or D2 viper?

I have a d2 viper and d2 boa coming. I can give you some answers later.

Hello,

It´s a D2 Boa. I am looking forward to read your answers.

MR.Hmm

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #7 of 19
Harvey/ Ga;5616751 said:
Quote:

Hello Head-fi,
2. If I am not near my Pc, can I then charge it from the normal power outlet and can it play music and charge at the same time?<<

Yes...you can buy a wall wart that has a USB plug. Try E-bay. IIRC, they're not that expensive

>>>3. If I want to buy some better headphones one day, for example akg k 701 or Sennheiser HD 600 can they then be driven by the iBasso D2? Or will I need a bigger amp like the D10 for that?<<

Can't say for the D-2, but it should drive those phones. If the D10 isn't much more expensive, why not get it ??

Hello Harvey,

Okay that sounds good, it´s important for me that it can charge and play at the same time. The D10 is about 100 usd more expensive than the D2. Well if the D10 just have some features I don´t need I would rater save my money. But if the D10 sounds better I will sure go for it, have anyone done a test between those two?

MR. Hmm

Apr 18, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifidk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. If you plug the USB and turn the charge switch on, it will start to charge. However, I don't think it is such a good idea to charge and play at the same time since D2 always run on battery (not on USB power) so you are draining power from battery and charging at the same time which could shorten the battery life.

2. I don't know if it is standard since I bought used but mine came with a little charger that I can plug into normal outlet and plug USB cable to charge the D2 Boa. Again, I wouldn't charge and play at the same time.

3. I wasn't very impressed by D2 with HD600. I do not know about D10 but it gets great review. I think it is much better than D2.

Oh, and I would rather put the money into better headphone that can be driven ampless rather than get a headphone + amp/dac combo, if you don't want to spend alot more for better amp/dac.
I think D2 has some limitation when driving full-sized cans.

I see maybe its not such a good idea to charge and play at the same time, is that something you know for sure or just something you are guessing?

I don´t know if they have some limitations driving full sized cans, but the Akg k 272 Hd should be very easy to drive.

Mr. Hmm

Apr 18, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 19
I own the D10 and have experience with the D2; IMO there is no comparison between the 2, I wasnt a fan of the D2 at all. and since you cant roll op-amps in the D2, you are totally stuck with what they deem to be the best combo. which hasnt been my experience with the D10. the D10 does sound great stock, but with some tweaking I have found even better audio. the amp section in the D10 is far superior IMO as is the Dac and if you can use optical or coax digital instead of USB you will be blown away. also further down the line if you end up getting a home amp for you headphones, you can utilize the D10 as dac only with its aux/line out. if you can afford it, and lets face it $100 isnt a huge amount opf money; I think you should do it. the D10 has rightfully taken the top dac/amp spot recently and IMO represents the best value in portable audio going currently. also if you get a hold of an iriver you can utilize the dac from your pocket. hi-fidelity on the move.

Apr 18, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the D10 and have experience with the D2; IMO there is no comparison between the 2, I wasnt a fan of the D2 at all. and since you cant roll op-amps in the D2, you are totally stuck with what they deem to be the best combo. which hasnt been my experience with the D10. the D10 does sound great stock, but with some tweaking I have found even better audio. the amp section in the D10 is far superior IMO as is the Dac and if you can use optical or coax digital instead of USB you will be blown away. also further down the line if you end up getting a home amp for you headphones, you can utilize the D10 as dac only with its aux/line out. if you can afford it, and lets face it $100 isnt a huge amount opf money; I think you should do it. the D10 has rightfully taken the top dac/amp spot recently and IMO represents the best value in portable audio going currently. also if you get a hold of an iriver you can utilize the dac from your pocket. hi-fidelity on the move.

Al right then i better go for the D10. I only have usb on my Pc, so I can´t use the coax. Thanks a lot for your answer it was very help full
beerchug.gif

MR. Hmm

Apr 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Al right then i better go for the D10. I only have usb on my Pc, so I can´t use the coax. Thanks a lot for your answer it was very help full
beerchug.gif

MR. Hmm

good choice; when looking at their site; it will say they are out of stock; at the moment they are just making to order it seems and they havent updated their site since they went on hoilidays. dont worry though; everyone who has ordered has had their order shipped within a couple of days. they have insanely quick shipping and you will have it no matter where you are it seems, within a week from the time you order. so just buy it regardless of what the site says and you will be supplied with awesomeness. even via USB it still sounds better to the pico with dac to my ears. then later down the line you might get a transport with optical or coax and BAM!! instant upgrade to yoiur dac
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good choice; when looking at their site; it will say they are out of stock; at the moment they are just making to order it seems and they havent updated their site since they went on hoilidays. dont worry though; everyone who has ordered has had their order shipped within a couple of days. they have insanely quick shipping and you will have it no matter where you are it seems, within a week from the time you order. so just buy it regardless of what the site says and you will be supplied with awesomeness. even via USB it still sounds better to the pico with dac to my ears. then later down the line you might get a transport with optical or coax and BAM!! instant upgrade to yoiur dac
biggrin.gif

Ok, good to know I nearly bought the D2 because I don´t wanted to wait for the D10. Yes maybe i should look at the wadia ipod transport witch can take pure digital output from a ipod, I can feel that this hobby is going to hurt my wallet
L3000.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #14 of 19
Now i have one last question, Hifidk said that it was a bad idea to charge the D10 and play music from it at the same time. But i have heard other places that it´s not a problem, so can anyone tell me what is right and wrong?

MR. Hmm.

Apr 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #15 of 19
You can play and charge the D10 at the same time, no problem. I have from day one. If the battery should die in a few years, it is easy to change and not very expensive. Just use it and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back