iBasso D2 Boa?
Oct 8, 2008 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

i_don't_know

1000+ Head-Fier
1) Best for the price (for SR225)? Explain if no.

2) Where can I get one? Must be safe, legit, ships to US, not eBay.

I've read some GREAT reviews on this thing. Also, if I hook it up to a DAP with 15 hours of battery life (on its own), what would the resulting battery life be (estimate)?

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 9
1) "best" is a subjective judgment -- only you can decide. Mine is good for my purposes, but lacking in some respects compared to my other amp (portaphile, which does not have a DAC).

2) didja try ibasso.com? That's where I bought mine. Shipping is not cheap ($22), but it's fast. Check the For Sale board here if you are looking for a used one.

(3) Not sure I understand the question about battery life. the D2's amp is powered by its internal rechargeable battery, which iBasso estimates will give 38 hrs on a full charge (my experience during burn-in confirms this). When connected to a DAP, the DAP runs on its own battery (as you point out, very few DAPs have such a long battery life, so the DAP will surely need to be recharged first if both start with a full charge). Likewise, when connected by USB, the D2's battery life remains at about 38 hours -- the DAC section is USB powered, but not the amp (when the battery is depleted, you flip a switch on the D2 that charges the amp battery from the USB connection). Hope that helps.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by htbyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) "best" is a subjective judgment -- only you can decide. Mine is good for my purposes, but lacking in some respects compared to my other amp (portaphile, which does not have a DAC).

2) didja try ibasso.com? That's where I bought mine. Shipping is not cheap ($22), but it's fast. Check the For Sale board here if you are looking for a used one.

"best" may well be subjective but for someone like me who doesn't have any experience with portable headphone amps, I have no choice but to defer to recommendations from people who do have experience.

I, too, am thinking of an iBasso D2 Boa to use with my Grado SR225s but am unsure what to get on a very tight budget ...

Thanks

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 9
Well, I think a lot depends on your intended use. If you need a DAC as well as an amp, and you need both to be portable, the D2 Boa seemed to me to offer the best value (as the OP's question suggests, it is by no means the best, under any measure, but it may offer the most value for money). That's why I ordered one, and I'm using it now.

You also need to consider other usage considerations. I wanted an internal rechargeable battery, and the convenience of USB charging appealed to me. The D2 boa for my purposes is more convenient than other options for this reason. If you are willing to deal with replaceable batteries, the D3 python may be a better choice, as it offers a different (and arguably better) amp design, as well as more power. But bear in mind the additional cost of those batteries (whether alkaline or NiMH). I am now considering ordering the D3 because I feel the improvement in the amp may be worthwhile.

If you don't need a DAC, there are a lot of other options at this price point, and I would not expect the D2 Boa to come out the winner in an amp-only comparison.

So, in short, you need to give a little more information to get useful advice from the knowledgeable folks here: What kind of music do you like to listen to? What is/are your source(s)? Are you using or planning to purchase other cans besides the SR225s? Portable or stationary use?

I have not tried the SR225, but I have said before (and others have agreed) that I found the low-end Grados really do not need or benefit much from an amp. I had SR-80s, and found an amp unnecessary; whereas an amp really makes a difference with the HF-1s (indeed, they need an amp to show their potential).

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by htbyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think a lot depends on your intended use. If you need a DAC as well as an amp, and you need both to be portable, the D2 Boa seemed to me to offer the best value (as the OP's question suggests, it is by no means the best, under any measure, but it may offer the most value for money). That's why I ordered one, and I'm using it now.

You also need to consider other usage considerations. I wanted an internal rechargeable battery, and the convenience of USB charging appealed to me. The D2 boa for my purposes is more convenient than other options for this reason. If you are willing to deal with replaceable batteries, the D3 python may be a better choice, as it offers a different (and arguably better) amp design, as well as more power. But bear in mind the additional cost of those batteries (whether alkaline or NiMH). I am now considering ordering the D3 because I feel the improvement in the amp may be worthwhile.

If you don't need a DAC, there are a lot of other options at this price point, and I would not expect the D2 Boa to come out the winner in an amp-only comparison.

So, in short, you need to give a little more information to get useful advice from the knowledgeable folks here: What kind of music do you like to listen to? What is/are your source(s)? Are you using or planning to purchase other cans besides the SR225s? Portable or stationary use?

I have not tried the SR225, but I have said before (and others have agreed) that I found the low-end Grados really do not need or benefit much from an amp. I had SR-80s, and found an amp unnecessary; whereas an amp really makes a difference with the HF-1s (indeed, they need an amp to show their potential).

Music: mostly rock, with some folk and electronica. There are also some songs here and there of random genres. Some of my music is a little complex/distorted (Dinosaur Jr. for the distortion aspect, bands like Protest The Hero qualify more as complex).

Sources:
-Sansa Clip
-a DAP/PMP I haven't decided on yet. possible choices include Cowon S9 and iRiver Clix 2, though I will probably be updating that list frequently until I figure out what I'm getting
-some Optimus portable CD player from 1999

Are you using or planning to purchase other cans besides the SR225s?
-Yes. In fact, I'll probably update my current Grado cans with a better pair every couple of years until I finally have some GS1000's. The SR225's will be my first Grados.

Portable or stationary use?
-Both. Mostly stationary for now, but within a couple years I'll probably start using the amp more and more for portable use.

Also, what is DAC, and what is the point of it? I'm looking for something that will best maximize the performance of my SR225's in as many aspects as possible. I like a warm, yet balanced and wide-range sound, and the more detail, the better. If you have a suggestion, feel free to tell me. I don't know anything about amps, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: And does an amp completely replace the original sound of the source, or does it add on? In other words, if an mp3 player sounds horrible and it's amped with the same amp as a better sounding player, will they sound the same or will the better sounding player still sound better with an amp?

EDIT 2: If it doesn't sound like I need a DAC, would the P3 Heron be a good choice? And how long does it run on the 6 AAA batteries (of course I could always buy a bunch of rechargeables for it if it's an issue)?

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #6 of 9
I really dont know if Grado owners will like Boa..

its not a bright Amp... it more of balances out the Highs but at the same time brings out the cymbals and percussions into the music.

if u have tried GoVibe Petite ... its a damn bright Amp... i didnt like it.

so do give Boa a try before buying... hmm maybe it ll balance the Brightness of your Grado SR 225.

for me SR80 was the brightest headphone i ever heard

Oct 9, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 9
How can I try out amps? No one uses them around here.

EDIT: From what I've read, the SR225 is the least bright sounding of the Grado SR lineup, and has a balanced, controlled sound stage with deep, warm, accurate bass.

EDIT: How much does a Hornet cost? I can't find the price on their website. From reviews, it sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 9
I found the price, and I decided I'm going to save up for quite a while and go for a Hornet. It's expensive, but hopefully I won't find myself wanting an upgrade in the portable amp category for some time.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 9
If u like Hornet and want something cheaper with a DAC then go for Boa..

but if u have already experienced some portable amps before then Python is a better choice.

otherwise go for Hornet anyway by saving money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back