iBasso D2 Boa vs Nuforce Icon Mobile?
May 7, 2009 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ksween93

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy my first pair of audiophile quality headphones and so far I'm pretty dead set on getting the AKG K601's. However, I'm not quite sure what to do about getting an amp. I'm pretty tight on cash and it seems like portable amp/DAC combos are my best bet with the cash I'm willing to spend and the way I plan to use it (primarily through my MacBook).

I've tried to narrow it down and from what I've read, it sounds like the iBasso D2 Boa and the Nuforce Icon Mobile are my best bet (I've also done a little research on the HeadRoom Total Bithead). I want portability and an amp/DAC combo, but my main focus at this point is sound quality. So what are peoples opinions on the two? Any other suggestions or comments on portable amp/DAC's around $150 are greatly appreciated.

May 17, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 4
I recently got the Nuforce for use with my HD 280 Pro's. I have around 80 hours of burn-in time on it. I'd say that it tends to favor the high and mid ranges (read this somewhere else too), so if the 601's are bass lacking headphones and you don't like not having bass, I'd avoid the Nuforce. Unless someone has had a different experience... I haven't used it as a DAC yet. Lack of on/off switch is indeed annoying.

May 17, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 4
I have not heard the D2 but I do have the NuForce. Works pretty well with my AKG-271S. I think you will get a better bang for the buck since if you factor in shipping for the D2, it is going to cost significantly more. I'm extremely happy with it considering the amount I paid.

My advice is to save the extra dough for a future purchase. Once you go down this road, its only a matter of time before you want to buy a desktop DAC/Amp to drive the AKG.

May 17, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 4
I have a Nuforce Icon mobile as well and i think it is really good, especially considering the fact that i got it for less than $100...

I totally agree with what people have said so far, the icon mobile definately places and emphasis on the highs and mids, and takes away from the bass. That is usually not a problem with me as most of my headphones are really bassy. But with basslight headphones this could be a problem

I think it works better as a dac than as a headphone amp and i am listening to it right now from my computer it does an amazing job.

Sorry i have not heard any ibasso products so i cant speak for the D2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back