iBasso D2 Boa vs. HeadRoom Total BitHead vs. EMU 0404 USB 2.0
Oct 1, 2008 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hunted Charlie

Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from my current setup of using an EMU 0202 USB at home as my DAC/amp (into Denon D5000s) and running my iPod into a PA2V2 into Grado SR-60s on the go.

I've decided my new portable headphones will be Audio-Technica ATH-ES7s. I've also decided I want to use the same DAC/amp for home and portable usage, it's got to cost under $200 and take USB input. The Zero is out because it's enormous and I'd need to buy a separate adapter to take USB input; it's too complicated and large for me.

What I'm left with as options are:

EMU 0404 USB 2.0 (and run portably straight from iPod--no big deal unless I end up changing my portable cans in the future)
HeadRoom Total BitHead
iBasso D2 Boa

I'm currently leaning towards iBasso D2 Boa, but I'd like opinions please.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 5
I have the Boa and use it mostly as DAC out of my laptop. It's certainly small enough to carry around with a DAP and I do use it with IEMs a lot.

I've used it out of my laptop and DAP (cowon D2) into SR80 and ESW9, and I can say that they don't improve that much with the amp. In a quiet environment the ESW9 did reveal a bit more.

The 0404 is pretty bulky for portable, yeah?

So...I would say there isn't anything wrong with your current amp setup and your biggest bang-for-buck will be better phones. E.g. what you would spend on ES7 + new amp would certainly get you the ESW9.

But if you're set on getting a new amp, I'll add my enthusiasm for the Boa.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 5
emu if you plan on upgrading to a desktop amp later on, but the boa if you don't.

Oct 19, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 5
emu0404usb? O.o that thiing is huge, it's not portable, haha. also, how are you gonna run an ipod straight from it? it only accepts USB/TOSlink/spidf inputs. plus it needs an AC outlet, lol. DEFINITELY not portable!

in your list, ibasso d2 boa sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back