iBasso D2 Boa or MiniBox E+, ready to buy, need opinions!
Jul 9, 2008 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DARKHAVEN

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on my portable amp purchase and am stuck between the iBasso D2 Boa and MiniBox E+. I'll not sure about the DAC at this point, I'll decide on that later. Considering audio quality, adjustability, build quality, versatility, battery, etc., what do you guys think? As always, thanks for the help!

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 14
As an amp only I prefer the sound of the MiniBox-E+ specially after rolling AD797's for the stock AD8610. However since you are looking for a dac the iBasso Boa would be a better match.

Note: I have owned the iBasso D1 and now own an iBasso D2 Viper and it is the version in which you can roll op-amps. Now I have the LM6172 in the amp socket and it is a sweet sounding unit.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 14
Thank you for the advice, but you misunderstand me, I think. I meant, forget about the DAC feature. I'm looking for quality sound, quality build, versatility, etc, battery, etc. Ignore the DAC for now, I'm trying to level the playing field for a comparison of those parameters. Thanks!

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 14
if you get the minibox-e from head-direct, i believe they still have a return policy you can take advantage of if you don't like it

otherwise there is a ton of info about both amps on the forum, maybe some additional reading will help you towards your decision

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you are wondering, I recently e-mailed iBasso and they are saying the P3 should be released by the end of july.

Oh my ...
So many choices these days
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 14
i dont have any experience with minibox.
however, i do have ibasso boa.
compared to headsix and pico, boa's output power is not as strong.
i also feel that boa is kinda bass shy compared to those two amps mentioned above. i really like the details tho.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 14
I have both. I actually like them best used together (Boa → Minibox) , as odd as that might sound. One without the other just feels that its missing something crucial. I think its the bass boost of the Minibox coming into play. The Boa does have a little better soundstage and after putting it through the Minibox the sound loses some of that soundstage but gains more meat. This might change later on since my Boa only has about 50 hours on it and my Minibox 200-300. As far as a comparison of their general features goes...

Boa $179:
38 hours (stated), charges in 3 (USB or AC)
USB DAC
"knob" volume control
Shiny metal exterior all around
Leather case
Short flimsy interconnect included

Minibox $184:
50 hours stated, I get about 35 or so, charges in 5 (AC only)
switch for bass boost
switch for PtoS (adds a resistor in S mode, used for Ety ER4)
"wheel" volume control
Black metal shell with white faces
6-7" interconnect included, stiffer and stays in position once flexed

My Minibox is missing one of the tiny screws on its front face and the IN minijack is very loose. I can probably fix it myself though and didn't think it warranted the shipping costs for both parties. Need to figure out where to get another tiny screw though. Presentation-wise the Minibox also suffers as its basically the amp wrapped in thin foam, the interconnect, and the AC adapter in a small box in a bubble envelope. My box got a little crushed. The Boa comes in a box with a nice foam cushion, warranty card, interconnect, AC adapter, leather case, information sheet with policies and such on it.

IIRC, Head-direct has a 1 month return, 3 month exchange policy. Shipping was pretty fast on mine (ordered on a Tuesday, arrived Saturday).

Jul 13, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 14
Anyone heard anything about the iBasso Boa E or MiniBox-F coming out? I'm trying to find out if it'd just be better to wait.

Jul 13, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 14
My MiniBox-E arrived well packed and inside a foam lined wood box. My MiniBoc-E+ arrived well packed and inside a foam lined cardboard box.

So I do not know why yours was packed so poorly but it was not my experience.

Jul 16, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #12 of 14
That's always been my sort of luck with things. I figure I have something good coming to me eventually with the way things generally turn out for me, haha.

Jul 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZackP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In case you are wondering, I recently e-mailed iBasso and they are saying the P3 should be released by the end of july.

What is the P3, is it an amp, dac or combo, and how much will it cost? I'm also looking at buying an amp/dac, is it better to wait for the P3 or just go straight for the Boa?

Jul 16, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 14
If they follow their naming system, it'll be a portable amp. No DAC or USB inside it. But that's just speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back