Ibasso D2 Boa, Ibasso D3 Python advice please.
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mbd2884

Headphoneus Supremus
Alright,

I've become interested in buying an entry level DAC/AMP.

From what I've read on reviews, I think iBasso are in the price range and performance I want.

Will I notice the difference between the iBasso D2 and the iBasso D3, since I read also that AD900s don't improve much with an amp.

Thanks.

- To be used with my laptop and future CoWon MP3 player.
- AD900, D2000 for headphones.

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 15
I would get the D3 better quality amp section. And there is one for sale in the for sale threads

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright,

I've become interested in buying an entry level DAC/AMP.

From what I've read on reviews, I think iBasso are in the price range and performance I want.

Will I notice the difference between the iBasso D2 and the iBasso D3, since I read also that AD900s don't improve much with an amp.

Thanks.

- To be used with my laptop and future CoWon MP3 player.
- AD900, D2000 for headphones.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 15
I think I might go with the D3, even though those batteries seem to be a pain in the arse.

Jan 8, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I might go with the D3, even though those batteries seem to be a pain in the arse.

I didn't think 100 hours battery life was all that bad.

How many days will it take you to wear out a set?

Steven.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 15
Think about how you want to use it. I struggled a bit with this decision, but went with the D2 Boa for a travel amp with my netbook -- I can charge through USB & don't have to worry about spare batteries or another charger when on the road.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 15
I went with the D2, simply because money was an issue. If I could have, I would have got the D3.
I don't regret the D2 though. It's really an awesome little box.

I've also used the D2 when playing games. COD sounds great.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for me, yes.

the amp section and dac section of the D3 is superior to the D2

It's the same chipset and amp, isn't it?

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the same chipset and amp, isn't it?

Both the D3 and the D2 are using Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706.

However, the circuit inside the amp is clearly wired differently as the D3 dac can be used as a line out whereas the D2 is unable to do so.

The similarity of the D2 and D3 is only Wolfson WM8740 DAC Chip + TI PCM2706 being used.

The internal circuit, opamps, capacitators used i believe differs. (Not going to rip apart my D3 to prove it)

If you have a local dealer for Ibasso products, drop by and do a A-B comparison. The difference is easily noticed even to untrained ears.

Jan 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nocturnalsheet /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you have a local dealer for Ibasso products, drop by and do a A-B comparison. The difference is easily noticed even to untrained ears.

Well, my very untrained ears have a hard time to make a difference in SQ (volume level yes) between an Ipod alone or with the D2 ....

I guess I need to spend more time listening to tracks I know well, but so far I wonder if this D2 is not a waste of money *for me*.

Am I alone ?

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 15
Make sure you use it where you are typically going to use it (ie. beside your computer, outside walking, train, bus, etc) in the first few weeks to test it out.

I bought a D3 and found that it had a big problem with Radio Frequency interference rendering it unusable, but thankfully iBasso has a 14 day no questions asked return policy, so I was able to send it back for a refund.

When it did work, it worked great, but the RF issue was just to significant to ignore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back