iBasso D2 Boa for college
Aug 14, 2009 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi, I need to make a purchase on a DAC/Amp combo for college next year. It needs to be USB (for use on a laptop) and small, so it doesn't take up a lot of room and so I can put it away when I'm not in the room. My budget is about $200.

I like the D2 because I can also use it for my ipod when I'm on the go (I will buy an LOD for it), it looks nice, and is well liked. I would go for the D10, but am just not willing to spend the extra $100 for it right now, I'm trying to keep myself on a budget since I will be in college. This will be used to power ATH-AD700s and Monster Turbines.

Any other options out there or should I pull the trigger?

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I used to own the D2 and AD700's, it wasn't synergistic at all. FWIR, it sounded better unamped or with the $20 E5, than through the D2... although the volume went higher, it made the AD700's more sibilant/cold and didn't help the bass much.. But then again, I was never a fan of the sound signature to begin with.

Sounds like it might pair well with the Turbines though, maybe tighten up the bass, bring out the mid/highs, and increase soundstage. I've never used this combo though, just a guess.

I would get the EF2 hybrid DAC/amp ($189 + ship) for your laptop and AD700's, it has a small footprint but a really big sound. For portable, I would just use the Turbines straight out of your iPod, and maybe add a portable amp in the future. Then again, this is just my opinion.

Aug 15, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to own the D2 and AD700's, it wasn't synergistic at all. FWIR, it sounded better unamped or with the $20 E5, than through the D2... although the volume went higher, it made the AD700's more sibilant/cold and didn't help the bass much.. But then again, I was never a fan of the sound signature to begin with.

Sounds like it might pair well with the Turbines though, maybe tighten up the bass, bring out the mid/highs, and increase soundstage. I've never used this combo though, just a guess.

I would get the EF2 hybrid DAC/amp ($189 + ship) for your laptop and AD700's, it has a small footprint but a really big sound. For portable, I would just use the Turbines straight out of your iPod, and maybe add a portable amp in the future. Then again, this is just my opinion.

I have the same budget for a DAC/Amp combo as the OP, but am pairing with the 840's (I see you have a pair)- what would you recommend? Am I correct in thinking I need a quality DAC first, and whatever amp comes with as the Shure's are easily driven?

Aug 16, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 5
Sorry guys, but I went and got a desktop and a netbook for college so now I am waiting on my Asus Xonar STX to arrive
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the replies anyway

Aug 16, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello head-fi, I need to make a purchase on a DAC/Amp combo for college next year. It needs to be USB (for use on a laptop) and small, so it doesn't take up a lot of room and so I can put it away when I'm not in the room. My budget is about $200.

I like the D2 because I can also use it for my ipod when I'm on the go (I will buy an LOD for it), it looks nice, and is well liked. I would go for the D10, but am just not willing to spend the extra $100 for it right now, I'm trying to keep myself on a budget since I will be in college. This will be used to power ATH-AD700s and Monster Turbines.

Any other options out there or should I pull the trigger?

AMP3 is a compromised option. AMP3 is win in the soundquality. It is hybrid with DAP and amplifier. You can aslo get a freebie hi fi earphone.

My recommend reason for your is the lower price which only cost your USD 149. But it have no DAC function. It seems very model has it limitation.
for more information, please check to the page:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/am...8/index50.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back