iBasso D14 Bushmaster or Pioneer XPA-700? Help to Choose Amp/DAC!!
Oct 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

goldsmith83

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I need advice to find the best possible portable Amp/DAC for my ZX1. I've never used amps or dacs before and I don't know very much about them. This is my list of requirements:

-Supports DSD Native 5.6 MHz (or 2.8 MHz at least) and PCM 192kHz 24bit (at least).
-Android Compatible.
-High power amp.
-Not over 300 euro/$350 although I'm open to spend some more on a certain Amp/Dac if it's really worth it.
-The longer the battery life, better.

Some of the examples which have attracted my attention have been iBasso D14 Bushmaster and Pioneer XPA-700. XPA-700 excites me but I read that it's got short battery life. What do you guys think of these and what other options can you suggest me?

Some of my headphones and iems are Philips Fidelio X2, Sony Z7, JVC HA-SZ2000, Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, Sony EX1000, Monster Turbine Pro Copper, Sony XBA H3.
I'll appreciate your help.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2 of 7
Since you answer my question from the other post on the xpa-700. Did you end up getting the d14? I have a d14, it got pletty of power and a very neutral sound. That said I am curious as why you want to stack a DAC on top of your DAP.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm weighing up now between D14 and Oppo HA-2 since xpa-700 is helpless to me. I don't know which is best. I hate to make decisions. I don't understand very well your question about the DAC. What I meant is I want the DAC to play native DSD.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 7
From looking around there doesn't seem to be much of a difference between the HA-2 and D14, both utilise the ESS 9018K2M DAC which is capable of DSD128 (5.6 Mhz) without conversion. I personally love the HA-2, it has a great build and design but the battery life is about 6/7 hours when connected via a digital method like OTG with an Android Device. I'd say get the HA-2 if you want a thinner and more portable device but really you can't go wrong with either.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm weighing up now between D14 and Oppo HA-2 since xpa-700 is helpless for me. I don't know which is best. I hate to make decisions. I don't understand very well your question about the DAC. What I meant is I want the DAC to play native DSD.

Ok you want DSD. Well i just returned the D14. The build quality isn't that great. If you are not driving a heavier load the power from the d14 isn't going to help much. Plus my work laptop antivirus think the d14 driver has a virus so it wouldn't work on it which make it useless.

Nov 15, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Have you tried to plug the D14 into another laptop? Did you want to use it as a desktop Amp/DAC? Besides, the HA-2 ain't got as much battery life as D14, I don't know wether 6/7 hours will be enough to me, although I like its design and build look much more than D14's. I love HA-2's design since the first time I saw it. My reason says the D14, my heart says the HA-2.

Nov 16, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 7
No I did not try with another laptop. I am sure it would work if I can bypass the antivirus. I need it at work as a dac/amp, but I am not going to risk getting in trouble for ibasso crappy software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back