iBasso D1 vs Zero DAC vs... what amp/dac w.optical inp. ?
Oct 30, 2008 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

daniele_g

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

this thread stems from this other one:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/so...al-dac-376449/

but I guess it may be more appropriate (and 'visible') in this section.

After nc8000's post, I'm thinking of joining an external DAC/amp to my Sony CD Walkman and I'd like to have advices and comments about amp/DACs with optical input.

First, some specific question:

- I've read somewhere on the web several complains about some annoying "clicking" that the Zero would show when connected via optical input: any experiences ?
- Is the iBasso D1 still available ?
- What about GoVibe's ? Is there any model fitting my requests (and still available) ?
- ...and Yulong ?

What other contenders do you suggest in that price range, say around 200-250$ or € as well (I live in Europe and euro is 'stronger' than USD now, but shipping cost, taxes and custom duties eat out all the advantage: if you have a european name to suggest, it is welcome).

Portability is NOT a must. First, SQ.

ok, many questions and some confused ideas (mine, I mean...). sorry.

thanks, regards
daniele

ps: sorry about my English

Oct 30, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 3
Regarding the D1:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/n...ml#post4921657

Note that the one being sold I think has the old opamps, and changing them would be a good idea. I have the last of the version 2 D1's with different opamps, and I'm pleased with it, though I find the DAC a bit sterile compared to my Monica 2, and that's even with Future Sonics Atrio, which themselves tend to be more "musical".

Can't comment on the rest.

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, Packgrog,

I've seen that web-page, but the "new" iBasso D1 is too expensive for me, I mean I don't think it's worthy spending that money (keeping into account shipping cost, duties and taxes, which I estimate amount to nearly 30% of the item's price for us europeans) to improve a walkman: guess I'd rather buy a new integrated CDP, then (note: my first need is a 'bedside system', more than a portable system).

Actually, I'm looking for a used D1 (or other similar DAC/amp); and I even wrote an e-mail to iBasso to ask news about the D10 which somebody talks about as coming soon.

Thanks for your interesting comments, that sure help.
regards
daniele

ps: I know I myself asked about D1's avalaibility, but I found that web page and the 'new prices' after opening the thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back