iBasso D1 DAC/DVD Player Question
Dec 31, 2007 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tracyrick

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for ideas on how to get the D1 DAC to work with a DVD player.

I like to watch movies with earphones while walking on a treadmill. I was hoping to use my D1 like this: DVD player > coaxial out > D1 amp/DAC > earphones (ER-4S).

So far this isn't working too good. The only time it produces a sound is with a Rush, Snakes and Arrows MVI DVD that has a "2 channel stereo" option. All my other DVDs won't produce sound, no matter which audio option I choose.

My guess is this: the 2 and 5.1 channel audio options on my other DVDs are all Dolby Digital and DTS signals and the D1 can't decode them. I guess I was assuming my DVD player would decode them itself before sending the signal through the coaxial output. I'm very confused here...

One thing I can do. I can get my D1 to amp any audio signal if I go: DVD player > RCA out to line in via RCA/line in cable > D1 amp (aux input) > earphones. But I don't want to use just the D1 amp, I want to use the D1 DAC also. Am I stuck?

Dec 31, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #2 of 3
Don't know if your DVD player has the option but I had to switch the digital output stream to PCM, not bit perfect, before I could go through my DAC->amp-> hp's. Hope it works for you as well!

Edit:
Glad to be of service!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Yes! That was it, thanks polishpower! The audio setup in the DVD player was where I needed to go. Also turned off dynamic range control and PCM downsampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back