iBasso AMP5 Module Review
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

icefalkon

Headphoneus Supremus
iBasso AMP5 Review

First I would like to thank iBasso for providing me the AMP5 for review. For the purposes of this review, I will be using my JH Angie’s, Sennheiser HD650’s and the iBasso IT01’s (that will have its own review soon).

Unpacking:

As with all of iBasso’s modules, the AMP5 was packed very nicely with the warranty card, instructions, and screwdriver.

Impressions:

First thing I noticed was that the AMP5 module is similar to the AMP2 but with more oomph. This module sounds punchier, airier, and (to my ears) slightly more powerful. For me this AMP isn’t more powerful than AMP2, it seems that it’s more…musical than AMP2. I find that I can listen either of the IEM’s for much longer than with the AMP2.

Pairing:

The JH Angie’s sound fantastic with this AMP module. The AMP2 sounded great, but with this module, the music is off the chart. When listening to BB Kings Live from the Cook County Jail, it was as if I was RIGHT THERE sitting in front of him. When I swapped up with Queens’ classic Bohemian Rhapsody from the Remastered Collection I completely lost track of time and my wife had to give me a…” snap out of it”…lol.

For me, that is the nirvana we’re all looking for…that moment in time listening to music that’s so sublime that you lose yourself in it. That’s what the pairing with the Angie’s is like.

Next, I paired it up with my Sennheiser HD650’s. Now we all know these are very easy to push music through, so for me, it was more about tonality. With the Senn’s, it was very clear that the AMP5 pushed the mids more than AMP2 and the bass was a little more pronounced. Again, they sounded great, but not as good as the Angie’s…

Next, I paired the IT01’s with the AMP5 and they sound fantastic. It seems as if these single hybrid IEM’s were made to go with this AMP module. Every nuance is brought out and these “01”’s are VERY nicely punchy in and of themselves. I tried the IT01’s with my AK240 and while still sounding good, paired with the DX200 and AMP5 they shine. Every nuance is heard with these little guys. VERY Nice indeed.

Conclusion:

I have to thank iBasso for providing me with the AMP5 and IT01 for testing. With this AMP module, I found absolutely no hissing, but instead total darkness when tracks were stopped. I found this module to pair fantastically with the JH Angie’s and the IT01’s. For the Sennheiser HD650’s though…and my LCD 2’s I will have to get my hands on an AMP4. I feel this module is an upgrade to the AMP2 and am very pleased with the sound. To my ears, I hear the mids more and the airiness is really noticeable.

Thanks for reading.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, my friend has the JH16's. I'll ask him if I can borrow them and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back