Iaudio X5L:WAV vs APE vs FLAC?
Feb 20, 2006 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TAF94

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently on the fence between getting an X5L or new pcdp and was wondering if anyone can tell me how wav,flac, and ape compare soundwise played on the X5L? How close do they sound to the original cd?

Also I read a review that stated the joystick makes an annoying loud clicking sound, is this true?

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Yeah, that damn joystick, its clicks along in time to the music.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TAF94
I'm currently on the fence between getting an X5L or new pcdp and was wondering if anyone can tell me how wav,flac, and ape compare soundwise played on the X5L? How close do they sound to the original cd?

Also I read a review that stated the joystick makes an annoying loud clicking sound, is this true?

There all lossless, FLAC and APE can have tags (wav can not) and take up less room.

BTW The X5 does not support APE.

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Technically WAV is not lossless.

Your FLACs, APEs & ALACs are encoded files.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Yeah, that damn joystick, its clicks along in time to the music.
frown.gif

LOL
580smile.gif

How do any of these codecs sound on the X5 compared to a straight cd or pcdp? Anyone?

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Technically WAV is not lossless.

So is FLAC lossless? Isn't FLAC just a compressed WAV file?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing
lossless

<algorithm, compression> A term describing a data
compression algorithm which retains all the information in
the data, allowing it to be recovered perfectly by
decompression.

I assume you're talking about WAV being the digitization of the original recording as the "loss" of information - we always lose some information when digitizing a source. So you're right, WAV and the rest of "lossless" codecs aren't actually perfectly FLAWLESS, but they're as good as CDs, which also contain the digitized version of the recording. When we talk about "lossless" here, we're generally referring to the loss of information from the original digitized file.

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag
So is FLAC lossless? Isn't FLAC just a compressed WAV file?

WAV is an exact copy of a CD track. Audio CDs don't use WAV to store audio, but they both use Pulse-code modulation(PCM) encoding. WAV is a data file for use only on a computer, so WAVs on a CDR as a data-disc wouldn't play on a standard CD player.

A lossless file like a FLAC, WMA lossless, ALAC...is a compressed/encoded version of a WAV. These lossless files are a lot more efficient which is why they are smaller than the original WAVs.

So these lossless files are basically Mk.II WAV files.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slag
When we talk about "lossless" here, we're generally referring to the loss of information from the original digitized file.

The term lossless was created to differentiate between mp3s, AAC, Ogg Vorbis...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back