IAudio X5L vs IAudio X5
Jan 11, 2006 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Krause

100+ Head-Fier
Is there any difference between these two players sonically ? Or is it just battery life. If it is just battery life I think I am going to spend the extra on the 5l.

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #3 of 20
I have the same decision to make, but since I've never seen either live, I can't tell if it's extremely thick or moderately thick. could you compare it to an iPod? is the X5 as thick as or thicker than the regular iPod (non video)?

Jan 12, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 20
The thickness of the X5L is not extream by any measure. After living with the X5L or a number of months and owning an IPOD I can say that the size diff is neglegable. However the extended battery life of the X5L makes it my choice for all portable listening.

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghod1212
I have the same decision to make, but since I've never seen either live, I can't tell if it's extremely thick or moderately thick. could you compare it to an iPod? is the X5 as thick as or thicker than the regular iPod (non video)?

The x5L is thicker than the 60gb ipod photo. I had some pictures, but I can't find them, so I may have deleted them. The 35hr battery life is worth the extra thickness for me, though.

here's a picture of an x5 (not L) next to a 60gigger (i think) ipod: dapreview

Jan 12, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 20
It's funny how pictures distort reality about the size of X5L.

I ordered one after having watched pictures of it, thinking I was doing a big sacrifice. I could not believe it when I actually held it in my hand, it was so smaller than it appeared on pictures...

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by thevelho
It's funny how pictures distort reality about the size of X5L.

I ordered one after having watched pictures of it, thinking I was doing a big sacrifice. I could not believe it when I actually held it in my hand, it was so smaller than it appeared on pictures...

Oh yeah, I had the same experience. I was expecting, like, a medium-sized brick. I'm still pleasantly surprised at how small it is.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 20
Same here - I'd never seen a X5 in the flesh and only had glimpses of friends iPods to get an idea of how big these things would normally be to give any idea. I was expecting a large(ish) thing that I'd be putting in my pocket - not that I was bothered as I'd been used to putting my PCDP in my pocket before!!

Then the box came and I thought it looked fairly large and then realised that what I thought was a picture of the X5 on the front was actually clear plastic and WAS the X5 ... so much smaller then I was thinking.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 20
Having owned an X5L as well, I would agree with the above posters that it's smaller than it seems, but I still found the thickness to be considerable. If the screen was not placed on the 'bulge' (can't describe it any other way) and formed a flatline surface, it would've been perfect. As it is, the extra battery life is probably worth it.

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 20
Isn't the X5 just 20GB too?

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 20
Just a side note...

Some people have been saying on iaudiophile.net that the latest firmware (I think 2.10b7 or w/e the newest is) increases battery life a considerable amount. For instance, someone that owns a X5L has been usually getting only 20-25 hours play time but now he's getting closer to 30 hours. I just installed the firmware but I havent used it long enough to drain batts all the way. So far it's working just fine with all my files (various MP3 bitrates and flacs).

...end side note.
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed

There is a number of options: stripped down cheaper versions called the M5 and M5L in 20GB only (silver, b&w screen, no usbotg, etc)

there is the 20 GB x5, 20 GB X5L, 30 GB x5, 30 GB X5L, 60 GB X5

http://www.dapreview.net/content.php?review.201

the 20 and 30 GB X5s are 19mm at the thickest (screen area)

the L verions and 60GB add 4mm.

As others have said, even Ls are not that big of players....maybe its cause I'm used to a Karma? I still don't know why people want something as thin as the 30GB ipod 5G, it's not even comfortable to hold anymore...

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed

Mine's 30GB...

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
The x5L is thicker than the 60gb ipod photo. I had some pictures, but I can't find them, so I may have deleted them. The 35hr battery life is worth the extra thickness for me, though.

here's a picture of an x5 (not L) next to a 60gigger (i think) ipod: dapreview

I think that photo is mislabeled. I own an X5 and I'm pretty sure that's a picture of the X5L. Then again I've been wrong before.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by brian183
Just a side note...

Some people have been saying on iaudiophile.net that the latest firmware (I think 2.10b7 or w/e the newest is) increases battery life a considerable amount. For instance, someone that owns a X5L has been usually getting only 20-25 hours play time but now he's getting closer to 30 hours. I just installed the firmware but I havent used it long enough to drain batts all the way. So far it's working just fine with all my files (various MP3 bitrates and flacs).

...end side note.
biggrin.gif

on that sidenote: does this counts for ogg as well? oh heck, the battery life was insane to begin with
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back