iAudio X5L or Iriver H120?
Oct 26, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kaushama

Headphoneus Supremus
If someone strickly confined to listening with analog out (Forgetting DIGITAL OUT ADVANTAGE) which has the better sound quality?
iAudio has SNR 95db compared to 90db Of Iriver!

Oct 26, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
If someone strickly confined to listening with analog out (Forgetting DIGITAL OUT ADVANTAGE) which has the better sound quality?
iAudio has SNR 95db compared to 90db Of Iriver!

If you want lineout, than the H120 is easier to use as there is a better form factor (no cheesy subpack). The X5 lineout is also inferior sound quality wise...it sounds very thin even when compared to it's own headphone out.

However, I've owned (and loved) both, and the X5 headphone out to an amp is every bit as good as the H120 lineout to an amp. The only reason I sold my X5 is that I started using an external DAC exclusively, which is the iRiver's realm.

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 17
Thanks! Any other opnion?

Oct 27, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 17
With the default subpack, there is a reportedly unwonted bass roll-off in the analog out of the X5 series. There have been a few reports that this issue can be resolved with a third-party (e.g. AudioLineOut, Qables) line-out accessory.

Thus, as a complete solution, the H120 is superior. However, the X5 should not be dismissed if its third-party line-out performance is superior. There doesn't seem to be sufficient information on the X5's performance with a third-party line-out accessory.

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 17
My understanding was that the bass rolloff occured with all cables used. However, I never tried third party cables...therefore I cannot comment with any first hand knowledge.

I will repeat however, the X5 sounds just fine from the head out. I know that makes wannabe audiophiles feel squirmy...but the results are more important than the theory.
tongue.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 17
I owned both, one after the other. Both have their plusses. The iHP-120 has a fully-developed version of Rockbox which is a huge factor for me. I thought the headphone out was a little less lively than the X5 though. Out of all the DAP's I've owned (iPod 4G, 5G, X5, iHP120, MuVo TX FM, iMP-400) the X5 had the best sounding headphone out, really detailed but also "organic" sounding if that makes any sense. The form factor of the X5 is a big plus, too. Personally I'd take the slightly less versatile X5 over the iHP-120 but it depends on your needs, as is usual with DAPs.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 17
I am confused now! But I think I will take H120 for its ROCKBOX, line out and optical option. Can anyone help me finding an online dealer who does international dispatch of H120? As H120 is discontinued it is very hard to find!

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 17
And those H120 users do you find its remote a useful gimmick to acquire?

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 17
The x5 also has rockbox, although i think some of the kinks are still being hammered out. The x5 is a good dap, but many have had to deal with the battery issue and currently there arent alot of options in replacing the stock battery with a higher capacity one like in the h320 or ihp120.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #11 of 17
ummm....headphone out right? not line out

anyway, i didn't find the headphone out of my h120 to be too great, my shuffle was better be a large margin, haven't heard the iaudio; if i had to guess i'd think the iaudio would be better

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama
And those H120 users do you find its remote a useful gimmick to acquire?

yeah, the remote is nice to have; especially if you are using an amp which sits in your bag with your h120; clip the remote to outside of bag and flipity flip songs

oh, and ebay is the only place i know for the magic 120/140

Oct 31, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #13 of 17
H120 does have a separate analog line out. Right?

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 17
I've owned an H140 for a few years now and tried out the X5 for a month. Eventually returned the X5 for three reasons:

1. I found the sound just too bright for my liking (used my ER4P with both players), the latest Rockbox EQ apparently allows negative adjustment but I've only tried the X5 with the original firmware, not Rockbox.

2. The subpack was the dumbest idea. I use the H140 to freely transport files back and forth between home and work computer, all I need is two mini-USB cables at both machines. May not be a significant factor to some, but to me it was a constant annoyance to carry the (pretty fragile) subpack and have to fiddle with it every time I need to transfer something.

3. The joystick control on the X5 (again, the original firmware, not Rockbox), while very nicely implemented requires a double click as opposed to a single click on the iRiver. Might be a minor thing to somebody who doesn't have to adjust from iRiver to Cowon, but to me it seemed an unneccessary and confusing at times.

Overall, it was the sound signature of the iRiver that was the major reason for my decision to stick with the H140, it sounds unbelievably good with the ER4P (they have the best EQ bass enhancement implementation IMHO). I just wish iRiver released a successor with a smaller form factor, nice storage capacity, large colour screen and DivX playback, I'd jump on this in a heartbeat even if it cost $500.

However, you should probably try and audition the X5 at some local store if you have any that carry it. Ideally you'd wanna audition both of them but nobody sells the H1xx anymore... Who knows, you may find the X5's sound to be a blissful sonic nirvana and not care about the factors 2 and 3 described in my post. The problem with the H1xx units currently sold is that they all are fairly old and even though the build quality is very good (mine has lasted for over 3 years used daily and still is going strong) you still have a significant risk of having some sort of a breakdown while the X5 can be had brand new.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back