iAudio X5L 30GB VA iriver H340 40GB.
Oct 18, 2005 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

malcolmx9

Head-Fier
which one of them should i buy?
if i will take the X5L i will have to buy a separate headphones, the MX500, and a separate sheath. player it-self cost 429.85$ US here (can't order from abroad)+15.29$ on the sheath+33.91$ on the HP=479.05$.
while with the H340 i get a good quality HP and a sheath in an overall price of 421.21$.
but the X5L is a better player: it's battery life r 35 hourse, 15FSP VS 10 in the H340, faster startup time (8 sec VS 33 in the H340), FLAC suppoted, smaller size.
what should i buy? if there's a H340 owners here, plz comment on it...

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 15
can u say why it was much better?
i want to hear the reason from owners of both players, and not just to compare thier details on the page.
thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 15
If you intend to use an amp with it, then the 340 would be the better player, because the line out is located on the player itself (I think? someone correct me if I'm wrong). The X5's lineout is located on a very flimsy mini-dock that doesn't attach to the player very well. Also, the sound quality of the lineout in the X5 is pretty wretched. Tinny, congested, metallic highs and muddy mids. There is also no digital lineout, so forget external DACs. The headphone jack on the X5 is actually pretty good - on par with any DAP that I've owned or heard, and a good deal better than most.

FLAC support is avaibale for the H340 as well with third-party firmware.

I went with the X5 because of it's availability mainly; finding used H340's was a major pain. I'm more or less happy with it as a portable player, but as a transportable high-quality source it is pretty lousy. If you're using a headphone straight out of the jack, then go for the X5; if you'll be using an amp, go for the H340 or an iPod.

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 15
i won't be using an amp.
and if u say that X5L's headphones r good, then i won't have to buy the MX500 in 34$ and the player's price will be closer to the H340.
so now, the price isn't the issue, i just want the best.
i think i will go for the X5L, but if any1 has any other comments then plz write it
smily_headphones1.gif
40GB of the H340 will really help, cuz i have a music collection of 11GB and it's getting bigger every day. but then again, 10GB less won't do a lot of damage!

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 15
The X5L's lineout sucks so you wouldn't be using it anyway.

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolmx9
i won't be using an amp.
and if u say that X5L's headphones r good, then i won't have to buy the MX500 in 34$ and the player's price will be closer to the H340.
so now, the price isn't the issue, i just want the best.
i think i will go for the X5L, but if any1 has any other comments then plz write it
smily_headphones1.gif
40GB of the H340 will really help, cuz i have a music collection of 11GB and it's getting bigger every day. but then again, 10GB less won't do a lot of damage!

I didn't say that the X5's headphones are good - though they're not as terrible as most stock buds, I think they're Cresyns - but that the X5's headphone jack was pretty good, meaning that the onboard headamp is fairly decent.

The X5 combines well with darker-sounding phones, like the dual-driver canalphones (E5c, UM2, super.fi). I wouldn't rely on it's EQ, so I would try to get the most neutral phone possible, and failing that, a dark(er) one.

Oct 20, 2005 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 15
I own the H140 and the X5 and I much prefer the X5-sound quality, build quality, looks, user interface, effects etc.. In my view the only reason to go for an iriver is the optical out, which the 340 doesn't have, and maybe the higher quality onboard lineout-though I haven't seen anyone really complaining about the sound quality of an amped X5 through the headphone out.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 15
X5 SQ out of headphone out isn't that bad, but it does smudge out the details next to the line-out. I guess I just want too much from a portable. As a portable per se, meaning a system that is carried around in a pocket and can go with you wherever, the X5 is quite good. As a transportable source, however, which usually means an amp, maybe a portable DAC, and better cans, the X5 is not a good choice.

As far as bothering/not bothering with amping the X5: that depends entirely on your phones. Obviously, if you're using the ER-4S or HD650, you should amp them at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back