iAudio X5: Yes or no?
Mar 30, 2009 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

nsx_23

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm really tempted to add one to my collection, especially since I can get one off a friend for a good price.

However, I've never owned or heard one, so what are they like?

Rockbox is already a big tick, as is line-out (There is line-out via the pack right?).

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 18
What if the determined double ate the drawer?
The yawning data can't drain the yellow.
The whispering chocolate knots into the definite ratio.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 18
Hmm, so no true line out
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 18
It may be a real line out, though badly implemented. I guess there are documented tests that verify a large amount of bass rolloff, though I have never bothered to look them up myself.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 18
Yes.

Apr 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering how it would fit into my current line-up of players.

IMO, the X5L is a dead heat with the H3xx and H1xx players. It has a better headphone out, nice size and a decent screen/GUI. The only reason I sold mine is that I decided to pursue the offboard DAC option using the optical from my H140.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the X5L is a dead heat with the H3xx and H1xx players. It has a better headphone out, nice size and a decent screen/GUI. The only reason I sold mine is that I decided to pursue the offboard DAC option using the optical from my H140.

Whats the sound like compared to the H320?

Apr 4, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #14 of 18
The problem for me is that a refurb 80GB Classic is cheaper than the brand new X5 I'm looking at.

Hmm, hopefully rockbox will eventually be ported to the classic, but it doesn't look likely at the moment. From a financial POV, the classic seems a better bet, but the iAudio has "collectible" status I guess.

The choice essentially comes down to Stellar sound quality and rockbox VS True Line out, MUCH higher capacity, but no FLAC support and I hate iTunes......

I could get my 5G upgraded and DIYmoded, but a) I don't feel confident working on iPods and b) I hate being stuck with just the one LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back