Iaudio X5 vs new apple video player?
Oct 14, 2005 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

booba

New Head-Fier
Questions;

1)
a) what's better, the iaudio x5 or the new apple music video player just released? and I know a lot of people hate apple, but can u give me maybe 1 or 2 reasons with your response here, thanx.

b) Which is the better video player?

2) What is the difference (besides price) between the iadio x5 and the iaudio x5L?

3) Will the iaudio x5/x5L be ok for working out, ie jogging and skipping rope? I hear flash drives are better for this but I REALLY like the features of the iaudio.

4)Does the iaudio have a built in mic for interviews etc. or do I have to buy an accessory?
BIG THANX

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by booba
Questions;

1)
a) what's better, the iaudio x5 or the new apple music video player just released? and I know a lot of people hate apple, but can u give me maybe 1 or 2 reasons with your response here, thanx.

b) Which is the better video player?

2) What is the difference (besides price) between the iadio x5 and the iaudio x5L?

3) Will the iaudio x5/x5L be ok for working out, ie jogging and skipping rope? I hear flash drives are better for this but I REALLY like the features of the iaudio.

4)Does the iaudio have a built in mic for interviews etc. or do I have to buy an accessory?
BIG THANX

1)
a) music wise, the iaudio should be better with its customisable EQ and many people have sung its praises for SQ.
b) video-wise, the ipod should be better as it has a slighty bigger screen and higher framerates. but it has a poor battery life in video mode.

2) size and battery life.

3) x5 or video ipod, no hard disk player is suitable for jogging, unless you want to try out the warranty.
biggrin.gif

4) i think it has a built-in mic.

Oct 14, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 14
X5 does have a built-in mic.

The biggest issue when talking about the X5 is that it still DOES NOT have id3 tag support, meaning your music is treated as files--not a database. You can arrange your folders by Artist, etc. but the flexibilty that an iPod and almost every other HDD DAP out there has is NOT present in the X5. I still can't believe that.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
The new iPod isn't out yet!

Wait a week ppl, then ask
rolleyes.gif

Exactly what I was going to say. People have already invented reviews in their minds for a product that they haven't even touched.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 14
The X5 has 14 hours of battery life. The X5L has 35 hours of battery life, is a bit thicker, and costs a bit more than the X5.

I'll have my eye on this thread cause right now I am trying to decide between an X5L 20/30GB or a 30GB iPod. A friend of mine ordered the new iPod and I'm gonna decide when I get to play around with it for a little while.

Oct 14, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #7 of 14
1 A) What criteria? You could argue for either based on codec preferences, third party support, audio signature likes, different transfer methods, etc. In several ways they're almost opposites.

1 B) As a true video player they both kinda suck. Neithers screen is remotely big enough for more than a few minutes viewing. On top of that the X5s resolution is very poor.

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rbilsbor
The biggest issue when talking about the X5 is that it still DOES NOT have id3 tag support, meaning your music is treated as files--not a database. You can arrange your folders by Artist, etc. but the flexibilty that an iPod and almost every other HDD DAP out there has is NOT present in the X5. I still can't believe that.

Actually polls were done here is the past on whether people preferred folder (tree) browsing or id3 tag database browsing on their music player and it was split almost 50-50. Personally, I prefer id3 tag browsing but I’ve read a lot of posts where people sing the praises and flexibility of folder browsing. Then you have iRiver players (i.e. U10) that can do both. To each their own I guess.

icon10.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 14
Look at the Cowon website under the features of the X5 they say up to 12 minutes of antiskip!!!! Perfect for those on the go or jogging...yes they say jogging on the website!!!

Anyway, I would be extremely suprised if the ipod didn't look a whole lot better doing a video. However with the quoted battery life by apple of only 2 hours for video...it is almost worth less. Reports are the X5 is more like 8 for video and of course the x5l....well lets not even go there
smily_headphones1.gif

iaudio has a built in mic...

Right now at newegg the 20 gig x5l is $275...30 x5l is $309...those prices are insane, the x5l is even cheaper than the x5 through the weekend.

Apple has more accessories, what most people consider a better interface, and finally has a decent sound section according to reports.

the X5 is built like a tank, has more geewiz features (the USB host mode is awesome for some...like for digital cameras and PSP owners), mic, inline recording, and ABSOLUTELY aweseom battery life in the X5L version...plus compatibilty with a ton more formats. customizable EQ.

Bottom line...for me, who is in the market for a Karma replacement...I know what really ends up mattering is battery life and build, with SQ. Also stupid as it sounds, having dedicated volume buttons is a huge deal. I used an ipod awhile this past weekend and trying to reach in your pocket to scroll wheel volume or forced to navigate all the way back to the track playing screen to adjust volume is unacceptable.

Had the apple had dedicated volume and longer battery life my decision would be very difficult. If the apple had USB host, longer battery, custom EQ and volume buttons I would get it
smily_headphones1.gif
As it stands the 30 gig x5l is the player I plan to order.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Neither has dedicated volume buttons like the karma. The X5 uses the joystick, which means if you're browsing or in any menus, you have to cancel out. This is the same as the ipod.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #11 of 14
booo!!!

but thanks...X5 is out...

now I am waiting for the samsung YH-J70 to show up en masse

*edit* wait...there are all kinds of buttons on the X5, and can't you reassign any funtion anywhere?

Oct 15, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 14
The video on the X5L is surprisingl good, but the quality on the iPod is way better. If video was a big deal to me, I would have gone with the iPod, unless it only allows you to play drmed movies.

As an owner of the X5L, i can confirm that it gets excellent battery life, even with signifigant video playing.

HOWEVER, if you really want good portable video, I'd get a PSP.

Oct 15, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaaty
booo!!!

*edit* wait...there are all kinds of buttons on the X5, and can't you reassign any funtion anywhere?

Not... yet. You can only assign the record button and the play button (only thing left is the power switch) to go straight to certain menu's or voice record mode. Nothing as direct as volume control can be assigned in that way yet. Maybe with rockbox, but that whole effort is looking grim. Every dap needs to have volume buttons and at least a scroll wheel (if not some touchpad) for lists. Nothing beats analogue control for scrolling.

Oct 15, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaaty
booo!!!

Only the RECORD and PLAY/PAUSE buttons are able to be assigned when you PRESS AND HOLD THEM. So for me, when i press and hold RECORD, it automatically adds the current song to my DPL (like an on the go playlist). And when i press and hold the PLAY/PAUSE button it toggles the different modes for random.

The options for a long press of RECORD or PLAY/PAUSE are:

- JetEffect for PLAY button.....Voice Record for RECORD button
- Boundary/Shuffle
- Equalizer
- Add to DPL
- Add to Bookmark
- Lyrics ON/OFF

As for a dedicated volume control, there is none on the X5. HOWEVER, dont eliminate the x5 just yet. On the X5 no matter how/where you are from the Now Playing sort of screen you can press RECORD and it'll take you back to the Now Playing screen so you can change the volume real fast. It would be like having a dedicated NOW PLAYING button on the ipod so you could press it to go back and change the volume instead of pressing menu until you get back to the "home screen" and then select Now Playing. Also, like the ipod, the x5 will automatically go back to the Now Playing screen after a predetermined amount of time.

The up or down volume controls are also nice if you want to reach into your backpack or pocket to change the volume------So you find a playlist or song you want to listen to, put it in your pocket, and are listening to it and decide you need to change the volume , reach in your pocket, feel where the screen is, and you can easily just press up or down to change the volume. << Personally that is easier than trying to rotate my fat thumb on a apple click wheel in my shorts' pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back