iAudio X5 & Rockbox
May 28, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 15
that battery life formnormal x5 is deffiantly worse, not better with rockbox

May 28, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that battery life formnormal x5 is deffiantly worse, not better with rockbox

For me, it's better with Rockbox than without.

May 28, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 15
I got my x5l last week and put rockbox on almost immediately. gapless really is enough of a reason.

admittedly though, if I realized beforehand that rockbox allowed FLAC playback on all those other players, I'm not sure I'd have bought this DAP. not sure how I feel about my decision, now.

May 28, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 15
Due to the battery issue on the full-size iPod models and the scarcity of the iRiver models, you made the right choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 15
Novacane - As the others have said - the main benefits are gapless playback, better interface including the ability to browse by id tags, and customizability of the interface through themes and config files.

Variable114 - I made the same choice you did although apparently for different reasons. I've had my new X5L for only about a week now and it got Rockboxed the first day I had it. None of the other HDD DAPs have close to the battery life of the X5L (with or without Rockbox) and the X5 has better sound quality through the headphone out than most other players as well so there is no need for a separate amp.

May 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #12 of 15
Gapless for sure. Also the Dynamic Playlist is fantastic. I can't comment on the Cowan firmware but it blows away anythinh that you can do with either the iPod or iRiver OS. You just add songs or albums for play at will: next, last, and many other options. Move stuff around or delete it on the fly. Instant viewing of the playlist at any time. Very cool feature of Rockbox.

May 29, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for the replies everyone. I just installed rockbox and ive been configurin here and there. I love it so far (esp those games, lol, they r neat).

Anyways, i encountered a problem while using rockbox on my x5. Whenever I try to play .wma songs (i have a few of them), my x5 refused to play it and all other songs after that refusal. Is there some sort of incapability of rockbox to recognize .wma files? Are there plug-ins to fix the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back