Iaudio U3 to Sony NWZ-A818....worth upgrade?
Mar 8, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cowon_1 compared the U3 with the 616, and assumed the 616 sounded exactly the same as the 80x/81x.
He didn't make it clear if he'd actually heard the 818, so it's possible it sounds better than the 616 and that's why you felt it sounded better than the U3.

I don't think there's a difference in their innards (regarding sound components) but, of course, I'm not sure.

Nah I think this is more as Shauntell47 said. We have probably different tastes.

However the 8** series is not considered warm if you read in the atrac forum. There have been comparisons with hd5 where people preferred the warm sound of the hd5 to the analytical sound of the 8**.
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:38 AM Post #17 of 26
Also it's hard to take someone named Cowon_1 as being objective about other players.... except Cowon's of course....

Mar 9, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #18 of 26
Actually, I still prefer T39 for mp3 because iaudio's sound is digitalized and robotic.
For iaudio product, I found when I listening to it for long time I feel annoying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
teclast t39 is only better than the iaudio u3 when playing flac....
actually 320 mp3s are better on iAudios in general than flac... so unless you're using flac, i would just keep your iaudio u3... get an amp or good headphones...

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 26
iaudio sound is just more analytical, neutral than mp3 players like sony and others... but if you like coloured or warmer sound than just use the sound effects.... i heard a couple of people calling it robotic but i just do no have that impression...

Mar 9, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sigsegv0x0B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also it's hard to take someone named Cowon_1 as being objective about other players.... except Cowon's of course....

True, this is the second instance when I have found cowon_1's remarks to be leaning towards cowon products only. I guess we all have our preferences..

Mar 10, 2008 at 5:03 PM Post #21 of 26
i have both players. i feel the a818 has notiably more clearity + detail. the battery life of the 818 is much better. more storage space!

for the u3: love the huge amount of info i get with one glance at the display. the music files are much easier to organize and it has an "on-the-fly" play list.

a818 it is for me!

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cowon_1 compared the U3 with the 616, and assumed the 616 sounded exactly the same as the 80x/81x.
He didn't make it clear if he'd actually heard the 818, so it's possible it sounds better than the 616 and that's why you felt it sounded better than the U3.

Yes soozieq, my nephew has the 816...Although I didn't listen to it with the music I'm familiar with I found it to have the same "in your face" or "aggressive" sound as the 616.

And to sigsegv0x0B, I'm certainly a huge Cowon fan because I feel they make the best daps in the world. But I'm very truthful in my impressions with other daps for I have owned many and I do own many different makes and models....and I still haven't found any daps that compete with Cowon in all area's. But when I do I'll let you know....
biggrin.gif

Mar 11, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #24 of 26
iwould be surprised if someone considers the u3 to even be in a similar level of clearity and liveliness with the a818...
maybe it's because of the phones in use?
i use the hd25-1 (recabled) and for me the soundquality is much "better" in the a818.

Mar 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #25 of 26
well, cowon daps are very neutral... so you have to use dynamic phones with them to get a certain amount of liveliness as you said...
IMO, you can't say cowon daps suck because you don't like their sound...
of course, they aren't as warm and involving as sonys, but that's a matter of sound preference... most audiophiles like their daps to be as
neutral as possible or don't like the warmness... so that's why cowons are highly regarded...

Mar 11, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, cowon daps are very neutral... so you have to use dynamic phones with them to get a certain amount of liveliness as you said...
IMO, you can't say cowon daps suck because you don't like their sound...
of course, they aren't as warm and involving as sonys, but that's a matter of sound preference... most audiophiles like their daps to be as
neutral as possible or don't like the warmness... so that's why cowons are highly regarded...

How does a -2db roll off in bass make a player neutral? I guess my concept of neutral differs from differs from people emotionally attached to their DAPs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back