iAudio M5 better SQ than X5?
May 15, 2006 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

banger

100+ Head-Fier
I have a question about the line out circuits on the X5 and M5 iAudio players. I have read a few comments here that view the
audio quality of the subpack's line out to be questionable.

So far, all of these comments seem to be directed at the X5 line of iAudio products. I have the M5 iAudio player.

The reason I chose the M5 over the X5 is that I wanted a player that dedicated itself to a single purpose. That being playing music.
I have found in the past that one usually gets better results from electronic devices that are dedicated to a single function, versus one that is intended to perform multiple task's. The X5 series is a result of what seems to be the current trend towards personalelectronic devices that are intended to be portable multi-media entertainment centers. Which is fine if that is what you want. My take on this is if I want to watch video, I'll do it on my laptop, home computer with it's 22 inch screen, or my home theater with the 53 inch
HDTV plasma display. Not on a 160x128 pixel screen. If I want to view pictures, I'll use the same interfaces stated above. Or print them out on my Epson R2400. But hey, if that's what the market is asking for, then this is what we will see. I just hope that it does not get to the point where there are no more dedicated portable music players being made.

The reason I wanted to point this out is that I do not think the M5's subpack's line out is inferior to an apple. My neighbor has an iPod 30G and let me test the differences between the two as far as the line outs are concerned. To my ears, the M5 sounded a little better and he tended to agreed. This brings me to think that the line out circuit on the M5 may be different than the line out circuit on the X5. Which I have read comments on head-fi ranging from tinny or grainy to just crappy. However, mention the M3 iAudio's line out and I cannot find any negative statements about it. If someone does have any negative comments about the M3's line out please let me know what your thoughts are. I don't have a schematic of the M5's or X5's circuit board so there is no way for me to verify if there are any differences between the two at the moment. To be honest, I don't know why the two circuits would be any different considering that most manufactures of
this type of equipment will do anything to reduce production cost. I don't have an RRMA program to test with. Although I understand that one can
acquire the software from here:

http://audio.rightmark.org/products/rmaa.shtml

I may try play with this and get more "scientific" data. But for now I have to rely on my ears. This may work to prove sound quality to me, but it does not mean that anyone else will hear the music the way I do. I can't think of anything more subjective than the way two different people hear sound.

Components used during testing:WAV file -> iAudio M5/iPod 30G -> Subpack line out/iPod line out -> Custom 1/8 mini to 2 RCA interconnect -> Eddie Current EC-01 Tube Amp -> Eddie Current EC-DC down converter transformer stage -> Sony MDR-SA5000

May 15, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 4
All I can offer is things that I've read as I've never heard a M3 or seen any circuit board diagrams or anything like that.

However I was always led to believe that the only difference between the X5 and the M5 was, mainly, the colour screen.

I've also read that the naff line-out from the X5 is actually brought by the sub-pack more then the line out on the X5 itself. It's accepted that the line-out through the sub-pack is pathetic with the bass roll off but I've also heard people suggest that with a decent aftermarket cable made the line-out can be much much better. It's something that I've thought about buying to test but that would have to be when the money is actually there.

On the other hand though the headphone out on the X5 is very good and there is enough power there to satisfactorily power the headphones that I use portibly. On that respect I would say that the X5 is still a very good music player (as is the iPod 5G from what I've read) and then the video/picture/etc is a bonus that might be what some people are looking for.

May 16, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 4
I've been doing some more digging and there might be more of a difference than first thought.

The developers for Rockbox do not have a version of this software available for the M5 yet. They are working on it, but there appears to be some difference between the X5 and M5 as far as circuitry. Mainly the chips they are using.

Still no definitive answer on the line out circuits being any different. Wish I could find a schematic for these puppies.

May 16, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by banger
The developers for Rockbox do not have a version of this software available for the M5 yet. They are working on it, but there appears to be some difference between the X5 and M5 as far as circuitry. Mainly the chips they are using.

Actually thinking about it there must be some differences between the M5 and the X5 other then just the screen - why else would rockbox work on the X5 and not on the M5??

But I'm still happy with my X5 (even with all the extra non-audio stuff thrown in) - I would like it if the line-out was perfect but then again the headphone out is so good that it can be amped if needs be (and there's always the chance of a good line out cable making it better - ie it being the subpack fault for sucking... I've read at least one view that it was the subpack and not the line out itself)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back