iAudio M3/X5 + Super.fi 5 EB
Jan 7, 2006 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nights_85

500+ Head-Fier
Ok. Ive got my finger twitching on the trigger to buy a pair of EB's, and Im just curious:

How many of you iAudio owners find yourself wishing the brainiacs who designed the M3/X5 would implement an equaliser than can cut the frequency you're trying to adjust (in this case it would be the bass). For those of you who dont own an iAudio DAP and have no idea what Im talking about, you can only boost the frequency in the EQ so there's no ability to tone it down below 0(flat). (this has FINALLY been rectified in the new iAudio A2)

And Im a little concerned that maybe the EB's may have a bit too much bass for me, that being said I wasnt quite satisfied with the low end the UM2's had to offer so hopefully that really wont be much of a problem for me (yes I know the EB's need burn in to really appreciate them as well).

Jan 7, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 11
I only use the X5, and I have owned the UM2's. The main reason that I sold the UM2, was that it had to much bass for me, coming out of the X5!
basshead.gif

If you find the UM2's bass shy, for your tastes, then you will love the 5 EB!

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 11
I usually use my At-A900s with my X5, so I don't have the problem your predicting.
I take it that you are concerned with the boominess of the bass you will get with the EBs. Remember that the X5/M3 also have BBE's Mach3Bass technology - http://www.bbesound.com/technologies/BBE_Mach3Bass/ Reading between the lines - when they say "deeper/tighter and more musically accurate bass frequencies". I take this to mean that it is not just a booster but also a filter that can be used to eliminate the boominess that you may get from the EBs.

Jan 7, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
I only use the X5, and I have owned the UM2's. The main reason that I sold the UM2, was that it had to much bass for me, coming out of the X5!
basshead.gif

If you find the UM2's bass shy, for your tastes, then you will love the 5 EB!

I thought the UM2 bass was a bit loose and "boomy." I didn't like it. The EB's bass is bigger, but also smoother. But on the other side of the ledger, the UM2's were definitely more balanced. The EB's really are not balanced at all (don't claim to be!) and are really suited only for certain kinds of music.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #7 of 11
This is funny! I was goin gto post the same question! I just bought both the X5 and Eb's and was wondering how they will sound together. I HATE waiting LOL. But since you will have your's befor me Please give me some feed back! ThanKs

Jeremy

Jan 12, 2006 at 11:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nights_85
I do wonder if the X5 sounds any different to the M3 (which is what I have).

I've always thought that M3, X5, and M5 were basically the same DAP, just with different features (such as FM, USB OTG, etc) & displays. But check iaudiophile.net anyway, I'm sure this must have been asked many times there.

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 11
ok well my EB's arrived today and I hve some initial impressions.

Im not one for long essays so it's gonna be short.

Out of the box:

Ok first of all, whoever designed the box is one of the most sadistic people on the planet. It's one thing to sell a great product but it's another to ensure that the customer has 3 aneurisms before they can get to it through the packaging.....

As for the sound, the first word that came to my mind when i heard these was "WOOFY". After a little adjustment of the EQ on my DAP (iAudio M3) I seemed to have reached a point that sounds rather satisfactory to me. After a little while of playback the low end seems to have tamed a little bit and now sounds a bit deeper and less woofy. The highs well... These are by no way the most accurate earphones, these are for going out and just enjoying your music over the background noise of the city. That being said they are VERY good, the highs are certainly more responsive than the UM2's (in my opinion) and frankly I believe this to be the better earphone (mostly cause they're bassier, and).

In the end:
Am I happy? Yes indeed I am, and these should keep me at bay for quite a while. Buyers bewarned these really do stick out a bit and that memory wire thing is a bit fidgety to adjust in the beginning

Jan 17, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 11
I found that as the bass get tighter over time the mids and especially the highs seem to get more and more present. At first, when comparing to other headphones, I had the feeling that the highs were not present and mids were congested. Been a month now and the sound has changed a lot, I don't think the mids and highs are absent, even when comparing again with my older headphones. If you like it arleady you'll just love 'em eventually!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back