iaudio m3 < shure e4's < amp or no amp?
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

taran

100+ Head-Fier
well the title doesnt suggest everything.

i got my e4's and although i like them for portable use, i mainly listen to them indoors.

if i wanted to further improve the sound of the e4's would i buy an amp?

the thing is i dont really want a portable amp firstly as i dont want to take it out with me and secondly i dont like the thought of hassling with batteries.

i was thinking of a more permenant amp for indoors. ive read people using such amps with professional headphones but not really with IEM's. i may plan on buying pro headphones later on but at the moment im not thinking about that route.

i tried my home theatre amp the other day (sony str-db2000) with the e4's and i heard greater clarity but the bass was lacking. is this because this amp isnt a purpose made headphone amp? would it be worth getting a amp or wouldnt it make much difference compared to my sony amp.

any recommendations welcome.

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 5
I use an SR-71 with my E4c and they sound much fuller with the amp. Especially the mid-bass area is much improved. Also the batteries last a long time so that i dont mind changing them once in a while. I dont know if that helps.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 5
looks like a good amp, however i dont really want to deal with batteries.

isnt there a more permenant solution which can be plugged into the mains?

if there isnt i guess i could deal with the whole batteries charging. any other amps out there?

Dec 22, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 5
aright well ive been looking a little more into amps and ive so far got a choice of four for my e4's

xin supermacro 3 v6 (i like the adjustability even though i dont know nothing about what the switches do)

sr-71 (i like the fact that its a simple plug and play amp however would i get this or the horntet?)

ae-1 just came accross this one but dont know much about it apart from it being a portable amp)

pocket reference 2 (looks nice and seems to have a heafty price tag. dunno why though)

which one would be best suited with my m3 as a source and with all types of music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back