iAUDIO M3 now supports FLAC
Sep 20, 2004 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Well, at least compression Levels are 0, 1 and 2.
confused.gif
Good news though. This should move up the player in some peoples minds. See here. Found on Hydrogen.

Sep 20, 2004 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 11
Ironically, if you could actually navigate this player from the main body then I'd probably buy it, but as it is...
I just hate having to deal with the extra wires and stuff.

Sep 20, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 11
It's strange that they only officially support compression levels 0, 1, and 2 as all compression levels (0-8) have about the same CPU usage (within a percent or two on even "slow" computers).

Sep 20, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 11
how much storage space does level 0 and 8 differ?

It's good that more players are not supporting FLAC.
Does it use more battery?

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Levels 0, 1, and 2. My collection is in 8. How sad. ;_;

Well I'm sure they'll add support for the other levels as well in time.

[Edit]

Gummy, it depends on the music really, but for example, Metallica's "Enter Sandman" at 0 is 40.8 MB, while at 8 it's 37.6 MB.

Sep 20, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 11
Good news for M3 owners... of which I am no longer one. It doesn't change anything for me but it certainly gives it a further edge over the iHP series for the audiophile. Perhaps it's my imagination (since I didn't have the iHP and M3 at the same time) but I could not help feeling that the M3 offered a slight increase in base sound quality. Am I talking out of my rear end or is this the case (for those who have iHP and M3) in your opinion?

Sep 21, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Good news for M3 owners... of which I am no longer one. It doesn't change anything for me but it certainly gives it a further edge over the iHP series for the audiophile. Perhaps it's my imagination (since I didn't have the iHP and M3 at the same time) but I could not help feeling that the M3 offered a slight increase in base sound quality. Am I talking out of my rear end or is this the case (for those who have iHP and M3) in your opinion?

Just wondering, why did you get rid of your m3? What did you think of it?

Although i don't have the ihp, i do have the m3 and i feel it's sq is very good and the line-out is also very good in humble opinion. Both are definetely much better than my dne-300 which most people feel is quite good.

dj_digital

Sep 21, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

but I could not help feeling that the M3 offered a slight increase in base sound quality.

That was also my impression, back when I A/B'd the two.
But ugh, the extra wires...slimness is nice, but a slim player + remote wire + remote is more clunky than a non-slim player. If your portable player can't fit inside your pocket (aka, cd players), remotes are a great idea. But for a pocket-sized DAP, remotes are actually a pain to deal with. At least, IMO.

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyrie
But for a pocket-sized DAP, remotes are actually a pain to deal with. At least, IMO.

I have to share your opinion. I had an iAudio M3 for a while, but sold it after just a few months because it became too inconvenient with the remote. Nice player though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back