iAudio 7 + PK1?
Oct 17, 2007 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

b0dhi

Headphoneus Supremus
Does anyone here have this combo? I bought the Pk3 to test if I like the Yuin sound, and I'll probably upgrade to the Pk1 if I do. I hear that the amp on the I7 is fairly powerful for a DAP, so can it drive the Pk1 well enough?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 10
I just started using the 8 GB iAudio7 tonight. I'm very impressed with it so far. At this point I've only used ER4S but it drives them beautifully,I'm using around 25/40 on volume and that's plenty loud. Next up: HD650.
600smile.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just started using the 8 GB iAudio7 tonight. I'm very impressed with it so far. At this point I've only used ER4S but it drives them beautifully,I'm using around 25/40 on volume and that's plenty loud. Next up: HD650.
600smile.gif

You're insane, lol.

The pk3s are still earbuds, so they shouldn't be that hard to drive? Or am I mistaken? With my marshmallows, I have my I7 usually in the 12-19/40 range, and roughly 25 with my KSC75s and MS-1s, in fact I prefer it for my MS-1s over my computer setup, a chaintech AV-710 and CMOY (bad opamp for MS1? idk, something just sounds wrong).

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 10
I am using iaudio u3 with PK1. It is amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone here have this combo? I bought the Pk3 to test if I like the Yuin sound, and I'll probably upgrade to the Pk1 if I do. I hear that the amp on the I7 is fairly powerful for a DAP, so can it drive the Pk1 well enough?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 10
I decided to test my i7 with 250 Ohm DT-880 first. At full volume it drove them surprisingly well, even with EQ and other audio tweaks active.(haven't tried HD 650 yet)

I see no need for a portable amp added to the i7 with any IEM or earbud...its so small it'd defeat the purpose and truly is not needed.

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600smile.gif

Does it hiss much?

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it hiss much?

I haven't really tested for this but during normal listening I didn't notice any hiss/noise.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 10
I used an I7 8gb and PK-1's for a while. It indeed sounded great. There was no hiss.

However the PK-1's can sound a lot better. It just wasn't enough. I had my volume at 38/40 most of the time for lots of Jazz and Acoustic FLAC files. I don't know how you could hear anything at 25/40 unless you listen to your music as only quiet background noise or you're playing some MP3's that are encoded on the loud side. I sold the I7 here and am saving for an imod/amp setup.

They're buds that need to be amped, no getting around it. If you're going with the I7, PK-2's will be a much better option. I like the PK-1's a lot but they're so hungry. Plugging them into my home setup it's easy to tell that. The PK-1's aren't the normal earbud. It's almost like trying to drive a 650 out of the I7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back