iAudio 2GB, U3 or G3? Sound is important.
May 6, 2006 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

david1978jp

500+ Head-Fier
It is odd. U3 ($190) costs $40 less than G3 ($230). And U3 seems have more bell-n-whistle features. To us music lovers, sound is the only thng matters. Which one actually sounds better?

One more thing, price wise, one 2gb G3 ($230) = two 1gb G3 ($110) . Would you rather get one player, or two players?

May 6, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #2 of 8
I would get a G3, it has nice features, and sounds great, and its around 100 bucks. but when you spend 200$ for 2 gigs, thats a little eiffy. For like 50 dollars more or 100 you could get 30 gigs. So I dont think 2 gigs is really worth its for 200 bucks. I mean you could get a 8 gig creative micro for around that.

May 6, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 8
Get the G3.

Unlike the U3, its not proprietary rechargeable battery operated. Sound wise, most iAudio players are pretty much even.

May 6, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I'd like to add the U2 on the list as well if I may. Its basically the same as the U3 but without a color screen and very slightly longer. Not that it matters because the U2 is about the size of an average man's index finger.

My dad owns one and I had many chances to hear it. I must say it sounds absolutely fantastic out of the headhone jack! Listening to it made my ipod sound really tame, so quietly avoid hearing that thing at all. His U2 + PX100 actually beats my more expensive ipod 4G + super.fi 5 pros IMO.

It has all the sound options like all iaudio products. iaudio really shines when it comes to SQ no matter the model and are quite popular for this reason in Korea at the moment.

May 7, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 8
wait, if u said SQ is most important. the G3 is only 26mW. and the U3 is 60! so the u3 will sound better, right?

other than that....the u3 does have the video/image advantages.

it also has a slightly faster usb transfer rate.

g3, has a longer battery life though. and ya, rechargable batteries are better than the internal lithium rechargable batteries.

May 7, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basketballer
wait, if u said SQ is most important. the G3 is only 26mW. and the U3 is 60! so the u3 will sound better, right?

Nope. It's a common misconception that louder is better. As a general rule numbers have very little to do with how a good player sounds. Sound quality is a subjective thing but as others have mentioned most iAudio sound similar.

May 7, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #8 of 8
As an owner of a U3 and a Shure e4g, I can pretty much say that the U3 is rather over-rated. It doesn't synch well with the e4g (sounds rather loose) and needs an amp to tighten things up (I'm using a DIY amp, the PINT). As for the record, I don't EQ, just set BBE at 1.

If battery life is a concern, go for the G3. Its battery life blows the U3 out of the water more than 2 times over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back