iASUS Mobile Amp *56K Warning*
May 9, 2007 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cyberspyder

Caution! Incomplete trades.
I was just reading through my copy of Maximum PC when I saw a review for the iASUS Amp (don't know if there are any afflictions with Asustek). I immediately went on their site, but I couldn't find the hardware specs, just numbers:

Quote:

[size=xx-small]Optimize headphone volume and extend playtime of your mobile device.

The world's smallest and lightest hi fidelity amplifier for mobile devices.

A mere 1.4" x 2.0" and weighing in at 1.2 Oz (with rechargeable Li battery). Running time of over 20 hours while providing a maximum of 10dB boost <0.3% distortion.

To conserve battery life, many portable devices today use lower audio outputs to extend play time. The iASUS Mobile Amp maximizes headphone audio range and volume while reducing the power load on the source.

3.5mm audio jack splitter included.[/size]

ampbatterye6974ca2.jpg

scan0002rg6.jpg

The only place I found it for sale (in NA) was Headset Gadgets for $50.
Has anyone listened/seen this amp before?
blink.gif

May 10, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #5 of 12
Its good to see that consumer electronic companies coming into Headphone amps. This may thin out the high price factor and monopoly of small scale PRO amp makers!

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 12
Nov 7, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 12
It looks nice enough. Small size and small price. Could be a winner for those looking for a cheap intro to portable amps. Maybe a good alternative to a Cmoy? I'll be interested to hear an experienced reviewers review of this thing.

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaushama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its good to see that consumer electronic companies coming into Headphone amps. This may thin out the high price factor and monopoly of small scale PRO amp makers!

There is no monopoly from small scale manufacturers; in fact exactly the opposite - there are many choices. The prices are high because quality is high and production volume is low.

What is likely to happen is that the mass market guys get into this they will drive all the high quality amp makers out of business and all we will be able to get is cheap low quality stuff from a few large companies. Cheap, yes, but no support and the quality is so low that it is not worth the low price.

Like what happens when a Wal-Mart opens in a small town. Everybody else goes out of business and all you can get is what Wal-Mart sells. Which is cheap, but often low quality. And Wal-Mart ends up with a monopoly.

mad.gif

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 12
I doubt that will happen in this industry. People won't just buy the Asus because it is cheaper than say a RSA amp. Sure some people who wouldn't have considered an amp may buy this, but they weren't the customers of these amps in the first place. If anything it will hurt the CMoy makers, but I doubt that will even happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back