I2S card?
Sep 16, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipman725 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello are there any soundcards on the market that output I2S?

Empirical Audio Freeway I2S and Off-Ramp I2S.

You must make sure of what I2S you need. It comes in a few flavors and voltages. Some need MCLK, some dont. Some need 128fs some need 256fs. Some have two serial data streams (some pro gear).

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 19
Kipman,

What Steve is trying to say is I2S is not an external specification. It is an internal specification between say an Audio Receiver (be it USB, Firewire or SPDIF) and a DAC or Processor.

Some companies have made external I2S connections but there is no electrical standard to support them.

Thanks
Gordon

Sep 17, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 19
Aside from the offerings from Empirical Audio (which are not really sound cards), no there are none that I know of that support this natively. There are several that can be modded to support I2S output, the Juli@ being one of them.

Sep 18, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are several that can be modded to support I2S output, the Juli@ being one of them.

Really? Cool. I'm gonna go look into this.

Edit: Just looked!
biggrin.gif
And it appears the Juli@ has native I2S, no mods required. BUT...might be some modding to get that signal out, though.

Sep 18, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoiflobees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am really curious to know what you are connecting the I2S up to. What sort of devices take the input of I2S?

Modded Benchmark DAC-1
Spoiler DAC
Perpetual Technology P-3A and P-1A
Northstar 192, MII and Extremo DAC's
AudioLogic DAC
Modded DEQX

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoiflobees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks OverlordXenu.... not. I know they connect to DACs I was asking more of what kind of dacs and how.

And a honest thank you to audioengr.

You asked about kinds of devices, you didn't ask for specific models. Instead of asking what kinds of devices, you should have asked which DAC's accept it, and how.

Ask a general question, and most of the time you'll get a general answer.

Sep 19, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...80&src=3WPGWXX

?

Wow, this is really cool, thanks.

I was anticipating needing to mod the EMU 0404 to get a clock input to it, but this solves it without mods.

This means that I can drive the word-clock input of the Sync Daughtercard from my standard Pace-Car reclocker without needing ANY mods to the 0404. Everything is off-the-shelf and just works. I love it. This is the first USB solution that I have found that does not require either mods to the source or tuning of the Pace-Car to the laptop. I can't wait to add this to the website
biggrin.gif

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back