I2S Cables
Sep 6, 2009 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tomk

Head-Fier
Just purchased a Stello CDT 100 and DA 100 Signature; transport and DAC. Presently using the supplied I2S cable. Searched for an upgrade to the cable without success. Stello uses the 5-pin DIN connection. Any suggestions?

BTW, I am delighted with the combination.

Sep 6, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 19
It's a digital cable
tongue.gif

If you feel like upgrading for some reason, you can quite easily use Cat3/5 cable and terminate it with 5-pin DIN's that you can easily find at any electronics store.

Cover it in emi paper, egyptian cotton, and teflon tape for that extra audiophile crunch

as far as I know, no cable company makes a 5-pin DIN digital cable "designed for high end audio"

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 19
Good Afternoon Lab Rat,

Your comments are clearly on point and greatly appreciated. The project is abandoned. I have found only two I2S cables in the market. White Gold, used by North Star Designs; a $2,000 cable sold only to their customers. The second is from Revelation Audio, available from Empirical Audio. I would purchase from Empirical, but not directly from Revelation. Search Audiogon and this site for further info.

I will continue the search.

Thanks again!

Sep 6, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much do you really know about this?
Nothing?
And using Cat3/5 cable to replace this very proprietary cable, you would need 4 parallel cables to make one of these cables, would become very stiff and unmanageable!

This is how the I 2S digital audio signals via mini DIN connector signal transfer is described:

http://www.aprilmusic.com/main/sub02_02_01.html

PIN 1 : word clock
PIN 2 : bit clock
PIN 3 : audio data
PIN 4 : master clock
PIN 5 : not connected
Shield : circuit ground

They are independently transferring 3 clock signals in parallel with the data signals.
Not impossible to make a cable like this, but I do doubt you would gain much doing so.
And if you found the connectors ( I also doubt they are easily available in any hardware store! ), they would be a PITA to solder!
But good luck with a project making a better cable!

don't be rude - especially when you clearly do not understand how a Cat5 cable is laid out

each ethernet cable has 8 individual cables - more than enough for an I2S connection. you only need 1, not 4... don't know where you got that idea from

of course I2S has all of those clocks - that is the definition
wink.gif

mouser alone has over 50 of these connectors

and though soldering would be quite easy, there are multiple options for crimping as well

Sep 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 19
Good Evening El Doug,

Appreciate the insights. A fine volley. Either way, I will not attempt a DIY project. Thanks for the lessons anyway.

I will continue to search for a manufacturer of an I2S cable.

Sep 7, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #8 of 19
Sep 10, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could put out a WTB on the for sale forums and ask for a DIYer to build a custom cable. You can find the necessary connector on ebay:

5 Pin MINI DIN Plug - Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, male - eBay (item 170255633835 end time Sep-20-09 16:01:52 PDT)

+five wire braid, should come in at less than a hundred

a 5 wire braid would be a disaster; crosstalk is the enemy of such signals, the layout of such cables is far from arbitrary and requires very specific timing and impedance be kept in check. whatever you do, make sure it is well shielded and try to keep it as short as possible

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 19
Good Evening qusp,

Sure appreciate the good advice. Will rely on a cable manufacturer for an upgrade to the I2S cable. Hard to find. Not much of a market I suppose.

The stock cable, may I never damage or lose it, is adequate for now.

Thanks again!

Sep 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 19
no problem tom; I have steered away from making any myself because of the need to maintain a very regular and consistent twist the length of the cable I can do that of course; but its better to have a machine do it
wink.gif
besides i'm pretty happy with AES vs i2s myself

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #13 of 19
Good Evening qusp,

Appreciate the insight on building such a cable. Also appreciate the tip on an AES connection. I have tried only the I2S, and have been delighted. May also try the other connnections. The units were purchased from Mike Powell at Hot Rod Audio Mods and I have been glad to have HRAM as the dealer. Very helpful and good to work with.

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 19
Finally found a 5 pin mini Din cable for I2S. Camelot Technology makes a good cable; only have a few hours on the cable. Seems worth the price. A more substantial cable than the stock unit. Will offer an update after burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back