I would like to beat Nightwish's producer(s) with a hammer.
May 6, 2003 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

DLoken

Head-Fier
They're one of my favorite bands, very beautiful music. But many of their recordings are horribly recorded.

Many of them (Not the music, just the recording) for lack of a better word sound like utter ****.

Has anyone else noticed this?

This concludes my rant.

May 6, 2003 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 27
I think it's a band with great potential, but they keep screwing up by trying to mix in some idiot male vocals, and bodging up the prodution.

May 6, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #3 of 27
Which albums have poor production?

May 6, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 27
Hmmm...my take has always been that overall the recordings can be a bit bright, but are still well-done. They do get better with each succeeding release. But what am I missing here? Which album is a good example of what you're talking about?
confused.gif
Maybe it has to do with which particular version of an album you have?

May 7, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 27
Probably. =d

I've had this amp for two weeks. I'll pick up something better as soon as I find something that I can afford.

It was either Monster or a generic belkin cable, for things I could find locally, and i'd be damned if I was going to wait a few days to order something over the net so I could use my amp. =d

I don't really know how to describe it, but say. Over The Hills And Far Away as a song is an example, sometimes bass sounds all muddied (I dunno if this is the correct term, but it sounds horrible). Otherwise besides that I don't have any complaints about the recordings for the most part.

May 7, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by DLoken
Probably. =d

I've had this amp for two weeks. I'll pick up something better as soon as I find something that I can afford.

It was either Monster or a generic belkin cable, for things I could find locally, and i'd be damned if I was going to wait a few days to order something over the net so I could use my amp. =d

I don't really know how to describe it, but say. Over The Hills And Far Away as a song is an example, sometimes bass sounds all muddied (I dunno if this is the correct term, but it sounds horrible). Otherwise besides that I don't have any complaints about the recordings for the most part.

Yeah, I agree with KR... I think it's the whole sound reproduction route that's doing it. I would not say this song sounds muddied to me. Also, I think there is more than one version of this album, coming from different recording studios, so maybe the quality varies between them.

May 7, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 27
"Also, I think there is more than one version of this album, coming from different recording studios, so maybe the quality varies between them."

Could you point me to the various versions? Interesting.

May 7, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

"Also, I think there is more than one version of this album, coming from different recording studios, so maybe the quality varies between them."

Could you point me to the various versions? Interesting.

B00005KKAI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00005NC6M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

'Red' vs. 'White', August 25, 2002
Reviewer: Cidney Hamilton (see more about me)
Here on Amazon.com, there are two versions of Over the Hills and Far Away, by Nightwish. This one, the 'red' version, is superior to the 'white' version -- which features snowcapped mountains on the cover.

First of all, the CD being reviewed is cheaper than the 'white' version. Perhaps this will change by the time you read this review, but by getting this version you have a better deal. (The price difference is, however, declining). Secondly, the tracks on the CD are different.

Both CDs have 3 completely new songs -- the cover Over the Hills and Far Away, 10th Man Down, and Away. All three songs are good, although the first, a Gary Moore cover, is definitely the star of the CD. Astral Romance as well is included on the CD -- an in-studio remake version of one of the band's earliest songs. Astral Romance was not an exceptional song on Angels Fall First, where it was first released, but is an amazing song on OTHAFA. These four songs make either mini-CD definitely worth buying.

However, the difference is in the later songs -- the live ones.

I didn't -really- like most of the live songs. I own every full Nightwish CD, and none of the live songs -- with one exception -- compared at all to the on-CD ones. However, the very last song was different. This was Deep Silent Complete, an awesome song and one of the best tracks on the CD. Deep Silent Complete was great on Wishmaster, but is even better here on OTHAFA! Tarja's voice sounds haunting in the very beginning, and does credit, and more, to this wonderful song. It's the only worthwhile live track on the CD.

The 'white' version substitutes Deep Silent Complete with Beauty and the Beast -- not at all my favorite Nightwish song. Making the 'red' version definitely preferable.

Overall, this is a great CD (like any Nightwish album, really). The band is easily the best female-vocalist metal band out there. Highly recommended!

Then there is the Japanese version :
B00005UC09.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Album Description
Japanese edition of the Finnish metal act's 2001 compilation with 5 added bonus live tracks, 'The Pharaoh Sails To Orion', 'Come Cover Me', 'Wanderlust', 'Elvenpath' & 'Fantasmic Part 3'. 2002.

May 7, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 27
Alllllright! The gauntlet has been thrown down!

Which band IS the best female-vocalist metal band out there?

Kind of like asking which is the best headphone out there?
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Conflict is the spice of life, so for straight-ahead power metal I'm going to say the band is Sinergy.

Oh, and the Sony CD3K's are the best headphones out there.
evil_smiley.gif

May 7, 2003 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

"The band is easily the best female-vocalist metal band out there."
You sir, are correct.

I would not agree with that statement, even if you are only talking about clean female vocal style........they are many many more excellent female vocalists out there as DOUGLI well knows who have even more range and inventive vocal technique.

I like NIGHTWISH but they are very mainstream and can often sound dangerously close to ABBA in style. (which is fine for many people)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back