I Would Like More Advice Beyond The "Sticky" Topics
May 22, 2008 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

s1mp13m4n

New Head-Fier

Hello everyone. I have been using headphones for about 20 years now. It has been 20 years since I purchased my first new set of "quality" headphones. I guess I will get to my question and leave the "what I have owned" part for later.
smily_headphones1.gif
Here is what I am trying to do. I read the sticky post with the guide on choosing headphones and there are great recommendations there but I need more advice.
I am in the market for a new set of headphones for "everyday" use. They will be used at home, in the bed, on the sofa, cutting the grass, at the gym, etc. The headphones will be used on my computer and my iPod as well. I have a first generation Headroom Airhead portable amp....the model with three AAA batteries in it. I have owned the Koss Porta Pro and liked them, but they broke and I sent them in for repair and they got lost in the mail. I had two sets of Sennheiser PX100's and they sound great but both sets had cord problems. I have Grado sr225's but they are in storage in another state from moving, and they sound great but are uncomfortable.
I am concerned about an open back headphone because I do not want to bother my wife with "leakage" so I am concerned with getting the Grado sr60. I was surprised to see in that "sticky" list the Sony MDR-V6 which I owned in the early 90's when I was in high school. I can honestly say that I never had a moments trouble with them other than the earpads leaving little black specs on your head when the earpads wore out. I only stopped using them when I found out about the Sennheiser HD580's.
Knowing what I am trying to use the headphones for and seeing my concerns, what is your advice? Should I get the Sennheiser PX100's which I can get for $32 online and try to be careful with them to make them last? I am a bit overwhelmed at having so many good choices, so what would you do?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2008 at 6:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Well, what I'd do is not always a good idea, but...

I'd probably get a fairly sturdy pair of full size closed back headphones. Is there some specific price range you're looking at? If $30 or so is your range, I'm pretty clueless about that sort of stuff.

May 22, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 6
I have $50 to spend, or can wait a bit and spend up to $75 on them. Again I am looking for something that is a good overall choice. Kinda the jack of all trades. Something that is well built and will last. I do my best to take care of my gear but accidents happen. Does this help?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, the KSC-75 does seem to be a favourite recommendation around here, but I've never tried one. I had a fairly cheap (40 something I think) pair of Koss headphones a while back that I liked, but since then I haven't had much experience with that price range. I think they were U-40s or some such.

May 22, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 6
+1 KSC-75

if you could stretch your budget a little bit higher and the convenience and comfort of an earbud formfactor is something you might be interested in, after personally receiving the yuin PK1 yesterday I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the yuin PK2 ($80+shipping new, cheaper used)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back