I would appreciate some help for some bassy headphones.
Oct 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ubercrazyman

New Head-Fier
Using this website, I purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones a few months ago. Don't get me wrong, I love them. They sound very clear, no distortion, nothing wrong with them at all. However, I'm a basshead. A bass addict is probably more accurate. People on this website said the M50x's were a bass-heavy pair of headphones. Our idea of what bass-heavy means must differ quite a bit because I haven't been terribly impressed with the bass they put out. They hit low tones very well, but there's no depth to it. It sounds quiet, almost. Like the bass is there, but it's kind of being ignored. 
I may have been spoiled because the headphones I had before the M50x's were Skullcandy Skullcrushers. Skullcandy's selling point for why you should buy the Skullcrushers is how much earth-shattering bass they have. In reality, with those headphones, you don't so much HEAR the bass as you FEEL the bass. Skullcrushers require a single AA battery to produce any of their bass, and the more you turn up the dial on the cord, the more the headphones shake and rumble. While the feel of the vibration on your head is cool, the actual sound of bass is lacking.
So, my question is simply this:
What would the users of Head-fi recommend for a VERY bass-heavy pair of headphones that still sound good in the mids and highs? I would prefer the same style as the M50x's, as in over-the-ear full size headphones. 

TL;DR
Recently bought pair of ATH-M50x's, they don't have enough bass for me. Looking for really bass-heavy headphones that are over-the-ear full size headphones.

Any help is greatly appreciated. <3

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 9
I will definitely look into those. I should have specified that I'm looking something that doesn't require an amp to sound amazing. Sorry about that, I forgot to mention it. I don't know if the DT770's do, since I haven't looked into them yet.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 9
Well the original M50 did nothing but **** bass and grainy highs into..at least my ears.

The DT770 will give you the real sub-bass.
Yeah... he's looking for Beats type of bass, the DT770s not going to do it. The King of Bass for bassheads right now is the JVC HA-SZ2000 which is available only from Japan. An easier solution is the Sony XB700s. Look for the Basshead club thread, they'll steer you in the right direction.

E: Also, the Ultraones probably too.

Oct 30, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 9
A thought occurred to me on the way home from work. Would getting a sound card or a headphone amplifier solve my dilemma? I'm perfectly happy with the M50x's; I just want more bass than they put out. I'm just using the on-board sound from my motherboard, so would getting an aftermarket sound card or headphone amp make them put out more boom?

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah... he's looking for Beats type of bass, the DT770s not going to do it. The King of Bass for bassheads right now is the JVC HA-SZ2000 which is available only from Japan. An easier solution is the Sony XB700s. Look for the Basshead club thread, they'll steer you in the right direction.

E: Also, the Ultraones probably too.

Ah...got it.
That One-Note Boomy craziness :p

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 9
The DT770 Pro 80 ohm doesn't need an amp and has supremely authoritative and amazingly detailed sub-bass response, with a touch of heat on the treble. It is the opposite of a "one-note whump" kind of bass. As a result, the mids sound like they are pushed into the background a bit (but they are still neutral), but the best part about all of this is that the bass never spills into the mids and the treble is non-fatiguing. I love mine, and am wearing it right now. It's my at-work can. From what I've read, the 80 ohm is the one with the most powerful bass, and it really is in your face without any need for EQ. The soundstage also rocks. Such a great closed can, best closed headphone I've heard thus far.

Oct 31, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Thank you for all the suggestions everybody. :) This has definitely given me plenty of options to consider. I quite like the price tag on the Q40's, but the other ones all look quite amazing, too. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back