I wish someone would mod this into an amp, or DAC, or both!
Feb 28, 2008 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

1000+ Head-Fier

nes.jpg

The sockets for the controllers could be replaced with (gasp!) BALANCED sockets!

AAAAAWWWWWWW YEAH!

On a related note:
NES MP3 Player and Speakers - Hacked Gadgets - DIY Tech Blog

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 13
That's actually a really cool idea. It doesn't seem like it would be too bad if you're just swapping the guts out of it. But how many people want their high-end components looking like an old Nintendo? (I for one do)

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

nes.jpg

The sockets for the controllers could be replaced with (gasp!) BALANCED sockets!

AAAAAWWWWWWW YEAH!

On a related note:
NES MP3 Player and Speakers - Hacked Gadgets - DIY Tech Blog

If I can muster the funds and the motivation, I may do so. But I would keep all the sockets and buttons, that would be really cool.... Splice up the controller connector for single-ended use... Thanks for the great idea!

NK

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 13
build a tube amp where the tubes sit under the cartridge lid so when you need to change tubes you lift up the lid like you would if you changed a game. you would have to blow inside it to cool the tubes down before rolling just like the old days.

keep the controller connected and use it to control volume, mute, and switch between inputs on the amp (nes).

connect the headphones by getting the old robot dude and have the balance xlr connections come from his eyes or something...

ok i am done...

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 13
Strange amp or DAC casing imo.
But nice to see that people have different taste...
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #8 of 13
Feb 29, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Wow, thanks 1117, now I can't stop thinking about how to do this
evil_smiley.gif
With your permission I'd love to pick up an NES off eBay, do the mod with my CMoy, and post pictures (with credit going to you of course).
I'm thinking:
-Use the stock video and mono outputs as RCA input jacks.
-Use the original wall wart for power.
-Build an adapter cable to use one of the controller ports as a mini jack. (ie wire 3 of the controller port pins to the audio output on the CMoy, then splice a mini jack onto a controller cable).
-Use the controller for volume, power, and source switching. I'm thinking "select" will power off, "start" will power on through a relay. "A" and "B" can also go to a relay for source switching. The tough part is volume control with the d-pad. I think I would use my spare Arduino microcontroller board to take inputs from the d-pad and then rotate a servo-motor that is coupled with the potentiometer I'm currently using for volume control. Not too elegant, but simple and it will work.
EDIT: Doh! If I use the stock ports, I can only have one source. Maybe I could map A and B for power and leave start/select open.

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, thanks 1117, now I can't stop thinking about how to do this
evil_smiley.gif
With your permission I'd love to pick up an NES off eBay, do the mod with my CMoy, and post pictures (with credit going to you of course).

Wow, that is very nice of you. Maybe you could call it the Cmtendoy. Or NES v.1117 or something. I dunno. If I had any soldering skills, I'd have done it myself already. But I don't. So I threw the idea out there.

However, even though the idea was mine, I think the name should be of your choosing, and credit doesn't have to go to me. My 1% inspiration would be nothing without your 99% perspiration of hard work.

By the way, I'm glad how we're on the same page concerning the already available audio jacks... awesome!

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that is very nice of you. Maybe you could call it the Cmtendoy. Or NES v.1117 or something. I dunno. If I had any soldering skills, I'd have done it myself already. But I don't. So I threw the idea out there.

However, even though the idea was mine, I think the name should be of your choosing, and credit doesn't have to go to me. My 1% inspiration would be nothing without your 99% perspiration of hard work.

By the way, I'm glad how we're on the same page concerning the already available audio jacks... awesome!

I'm just an engineer, I'm uncapable of coming up with concepts like that on my own haha
smily_headphones1.gif

I definitely think it should stay as stock looking as possible. I've seen some NES' converted into PCs and DVD players with fans sticking out the top and all sorts of connectors all over the place, it just doesn't look right. I'm just a bit torn on the volume control. I could have a potentiometer sticking out and do this mod in 30 minutes, but I really think a digital audio control connected to the controller would be way better. Trying to find a couple hours of time to put that together is a bit tough though.

Unfortunately the parking nazis at our school ticketed me today for parking in an area that isn't a parking spot- a bit hard to tell in a huge open lot when the lines are so faded you can't even see them anymore! Unfortunately that expense will probably set my plans back a month or so
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back