I went to the shops and came back with a 5G 60gig iPod video!
May 13, 2006 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HeavyBassMan

100+ Head-Fier
I had no intention of buying one.... today! I guess it was an 'impulse' buy? I don't know what happened... all I know is that I left to go shopping and came back with a 5G 60 gig iPod Video. I just couldn't resist it. It was there in front of me, I got to play with it just a little in the store. It must of said 'buy me now... pleeeeaassee?".. so I gave in.
confused.gif

I even got talked into buying a case with it, which is nothing fancy (just a black silicone case, to match the black iPod), but it looks so nice and comfortable in it
biggrin.gif
I didn't want my iPod to be homeless.

I've just easily and sucessfully installed Rockbox on it, so I'm copying all my FLACs from my other 2 players on it.

I never thought I would buy an iPod (why? I have 2 perfectly fine players already). I'll use the 60Gig as my excuse for buying it. I doubt I'll use it for videos, well maybe, but who knows. I'm still going to use my other players as well (yep, if you got them you may as well use them).

I quickly loaded a favorite ep to listen to the iPod sound out of the box. Well...it was poor. I'll leave it at that. Even with some KSC75s plugged in..the EQ seetings are pathetic. Rockbox should fix that I hope. I haven't got a pocketdoc/line-out thingy.. yet. I'll make do with the headphone out for now. Most people seem to think the 5G headphone out isn't tooo bad anyway.

I do like the look and it's simple user interface.

I'll post more impressions once I spend some quality time with it. Wish me luck!
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 11
^thanks for the tip....
biggrin.gif
I haven't tried mp3gain yet though. I prefer Rockbox's EQ. Rockbox seems to play FLAC perfectly on the 5G Video iPod. I couldn't get any MP3s or OGGs to play properly with Rockbox though.
mad.gif

I'm converting all the music I can to FLAC (time consuming!!!), I think I'll strictly use the iPOD as FLAC based player. It should be good, since I now have 60GB space (bet it won't last too long!!!hehe).

Anyone else having MP3 playback (OGG as well) problems? It keeps pausing for a few seconds with OGG and MP3 (esp. VBR), it's useless in these formats. I think I'll stick to FLAC for now. It sounds ok, but I had to manipulate the EQ a bit to get an ok sound.

Anymore iPod tips appreciated....especially Rockbox setting tips.
biggrin.gif

May 13, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyBassMan
Anyone else having MP3 playback (OGG as well) problems? It keeps pausing for a few seconds with OGG and MP3 (esp. VBR), it's useless in these formats. I think I'll stick to FLAC for now. It sounds ok, but I had to manipulate the EQ a bit to get an ok sound.

I have been using Rockbox on my iPod 5G 60 Gb for weeks now, and after chaning a few little things have had *no* skipping at all.

There are a few things that do cause skipping, they are:

equaliser, turn it off.
peak meter in a while playing screen (WPS). either use a different one or edit it out.

If you do that I think your skipping will go away.

h

May 14, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 11
I know a thing or two about impulse buys, which is why I have so much junk at home.......

Anyway, Mp3gain and eupod should fix up the EQ problems, and get ipodwizard and put the deep sleep hack onto the ipod as this saves your battery from dying quickly.

How's rockbox on the iPod? I've currently got linux on mine and it seems to be more developed than rockbox......which I have installed on my H320, and its awesome.

May 14, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 11
That happened to me about a week ago. I went to store not having even thought about buying a 60GB 5G iPod. Yet ... somehow, it found its way into my basket. My wallet and I aren't getting along right now. I say he's not giving enough and he says I'm too demanding. Of course I'm right.

May 14, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Just a warning about using mp3gain with eupod. Well, I'm sure you're already aware that mp3gaining your songs to 89db will force you to bump up the volume level on your ipod to get to a comfortable listening level. A lot of people will use eupod to boost the volume back up, which works quite well.

However, you should know that there are a couple of issues worth noting.

First, you need to make sure that you have the ipod set to manual update and not automatic update or else itunes will reload your entire library to the ipod after every eupod session. Trust me, reloading your entire library to your ipod is not fun, and this problem is exasperated by having to reupload 60gb of material.

Second, you won't be able to use playlists in manual mode after using eupod. Actually, you can, but what happens is that after using eupod, the files on your ipod are "marked" to play at a higher volume. If you add a new playlist to the ipod, the ipod counts the "unmarked" song as a new one, and you'll end up with duplicates on your ipod - one song marked by eupod and one unmarked song. Translation = adding playlists to an ipod in manual mode after running eupod results in duplicate files and wasted space.

There actually is a way to prevent this duplication, but this leads to the third issue. If you want to add a playlist to the ipod in manual mode after running eupod but don't want duplicate song files, you can first "unboost" the volume using eupod back down to 0%, which should theoretically "unmark" the songs on your ipod so that they are identical to the songs in your itunes library. Then you can run itunes, and you'll have no problem adding playlists without worrying about duplicates. Unfortunately, I've found that if you do this, you'll end up losing all the album art on your ipod (not itunes). The only way I've been able to get them back is to re-upload all the songs.

This is basically a long-winded way of saying that if you decide to use mp3gain, realize that your maximum volume will be limited and learn to live with it. You can use eupod to recover the max volume limit, but then you run into problems with using playlists and possibly losing album art on your ipod, and in any event, automatic updating is a no go with eupod. Only use the mp3gain and eupod combo if you do not plan on using the playlisting function of ipod/itunes.

May 14, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 11
I have gone to Costco - 4 times in the last 2 weeks - I wake up in the morning determined that I will buy a 5g 60gb ipod for rockbox. but when i get there and am about to go to the counter I just can't pull the trigger. I have a nano and a 40gb Toshiba Gigabeat.... So I don't need it... I just want it.... But unless another company releases something I really fancy, I know my money will be going to Apple. Rockbox just makes it worth while. Plus I love beta testing stuff...

May 14, 2006 at 10:36 AM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for all the iPod tips guys. It's appreciated.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've looked into eupod, and used the mp3gain. It helped out the EQ a little, still, it's no where near as good as the rockbox firmware.

I am happy I purchased this player. Rockbox is working absolutely fine with FLAC at present. The EQ works really well too, and I have no skipping problems since I only play FLACs. I'm enjoying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back