I wasn't that impressed with the Grado SR60...
Jul 24, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 52
AD700 eh... looks nice and in my price range. I don't know about the Sony's though, haven't heard great things.

I'm not the only one then Redcarmoose!

Thanks again for everyones input, it's been educational.

G'niiiight

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #33 of 52
I don't know,they were at the shop for demos,and I was comparing them to my ER6 with their super high end amp,and there was not even a hint of competition between them.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #34 of 52
Every time i type something there's another couple of replies, yes they were straight out the box, but still I expected better!

Now i'm definately going lol!

I'm sure i'll be back tomorrow, I should have joined this site ages ago

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #35 of 52
I have to add that I happen to like classical music above all other genres,so my choice of headphones goes in that direction.

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #36 of 52
I have been looking for some new headphones also and after reading you like classical. You may want to look at the ad700's somemore FWIR they have a great sound stage and are great with classical , jazz, and acoustic rock

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by blindcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time i type something there's another couple of replies, yes they were straight out the box, but still I expected better!

Now i'm definately going lol!

I'm sure i'll be back tomorrow, I should have joined this site ages ago

If you've listened to the SR60 straight out of the box, then you havn't heard the SR60 yet. Sorry to say.

I tried it out at the store, really liked it. Bought one new, listened to it, then thought, "what tha hell?" At T=51 hrs, I thought, "...whoa!"

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

I was really interested in the MS-1's, but would also like some sound stage thrown in there.

Decisions decisions...

I read the AD700 was best for classical, would you say that was true?

AD700 > MS-1 for classical, imo. I've never heard the K601s. Benefit of AD700 over 601s is that you wouldn't need an amp.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #43 of 52
I've got a small Mackie mixer as my headphone amp, that should do the job?
Now I just require open cans to listen more house/disco/funk style music, it would be nice to have a relative all rounder though.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

I've got a small Mackie mixer as my headphone amp, that should do the job?
Now I just require decent cans to listen more house/disco/funk style music

Lol, I thought you said classical?
tongue.gif

I'd probably move away from all the phones mentioned here for those genres. Maybe look at some beyers or denons.

For mixing I wouldn't discount the sony mdr-v6 someone mentioned. Those are on the brighter side of neutral so probably not so good for house/disco/funk, but they are pretty revealing and almost analytical. They'd probably work pretty well for mixing.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #45 of 52
Sorry to confuse, I didn't explain myself very well there. So AD 700's wouldn't do me much good for mixing down dance orientated music? The Sony's are quite cheap, don't you usually get what you pay for?

Would too much sound stage be bad for headphone mixing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back