I wasn't that impressed with the Grado SR60...
Jul 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

blindcat

New Head-Fier
Hi, i've just joined here!

I found a local shop that had the SR60 in the window. They wouldn't let me listen to any others for 'health and safety reasons' apparently. (Looks like I have to trust peoples reviews for my next purchase.)

Anyway, I went in, put them on and picked the most rocky sounding song on the CD. Now I'm no expert but my first impression was the similarity with the Koss Porta pro's. (which I love, but I recently broke mine
frown.gif
)The 60's obviously have a chunkier sound, but it has that boring brickwall effect i'm not really looking for. The bloke in the shop said they would improve marginally after they had been broken in, but only a tighter bass etc.

I'm saying all this because I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, they have to be neutral as possible (which of course i'm well aware isn't the SR60's)
Before I heard them I was thinking about the MS-1 and eventually doing the MS-1000 mod for the extra sound stage and comfort, but that's probably a lot of effort.

What other headphones does anyone recommend? I'm looking to spend around £100 ($160) I recently found some AKG 601's on gumtree for £80, but by the time I inquired they had already gone. Bugger!

So to wrap it up, I'm looking for decent sound stage, comfort and most importantly the most neutral sound for the money to do most of my mixing on.

Thanks for your help!

Nickkk

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 52
If you don't mind IEMs,I recommend the ER6 or the ER6i.They sound very good(specially with the black foam tips) and you can get them for much less than 160$.Truly neutral.The AKG K601 are a very good option too,but quite a bit more expensive.If you can find some used HD580 consider yourself lucky,they are still among the best sound you can find for a very reasonable price.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 52
Ah har I didn't see you there... You must have replied the same time I wrote that...

Are they open? I'm sort of bored of that closed in feeling. I have a relatively quiet PC so would like something 'airy'

Thanks

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by blindcat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh there earbuds??

IEMs aren't really "earbuds"...they're like earbuds, but while earbuds sit within the outer ear, an IEM is inserted into the ear canal, and forms a seal against the sides of the ear canal. Much the same look from the outside, very different from your perspective.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 52
If you like airy sound,AKG is the way to go.

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 52
Yeah that was my first impressions anyway, just a slight anti climax... I'm sure the better models are far better, I am curious to hear how much.

The music was mostly chilled out stuff on the shop cd, I probably should have asked for something else to listen to because I've heard the Grado's don't do so well with that kind of stuff. I did find a track with nice drums, guitar and bass that was loud enough to class as a light rock tune so I made my judgment with that.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 52
I used to have the AKG K501,and I liked it very much,but it was sometimes too thin sounding and the bass was too polite.The AKG K601 are more fleshy in the sound,and warmer but not muddy.They have the reputation of being hard to drive,though,but sometimes those warnings are a bit of a formula used here a bit too often.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 52
If you want airy sound, AudioTechnica AD700 may be right up your ally. I don't think grados would be good for mixing since the music isn't that neutral.

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 52
Ah,I forgot the Beyerdynamic DT860,low impedance and very crisp sound.I tried them in a shop and I liked them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back