I was wondering...
Oct 31, 2005 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sagrr

Head-Fier
I'm very interested in the theoretical burn-in process, and I was wondering which headphones, in your opinion exemplified it most blatently.

Thank-you

Oct 31, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm guessing the winner would come from the circum-aural camp? As they are generally larger and therefore are going to change more.

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 10
I wonder too, but I do it anyway.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 10
The word "burn in" whould suggest that it has something to do with temperature. Might the term been carried over from the electrostatic times where headphones need to reach a certain operating temperature to perform optimally? Other than that I'm not sure how burn-in can help. A search at wikipedia pulls up this

For electronic components, burn in is frequently conducted at elevated temperature and perhaps elevated voltage. This process may also be called heat soaking. The components may be under continuous test or simply tested at the end of the burn in period.

Dunno if this is it?

Oct 31, 2005 at 9:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Burn in is much like breaking in new shoes to my mind.

All parts need to relax and become accustomed to how they will be used, and to some extent everything needs to melt into one, instead of many seperate parts bolted together.

I'm in the camp that thinks its an actual physical process, not mental whatsoever. Lol, you can't prove if someone is imagining it anyway!

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

I don't know the answer, but I do know there are many topics of it. Do a search and you will probably find your answer.

done many searches, couldnt find a post on it... not very good at searches either...

These are your answers
Grado
L3000
all (circumaural headphones)
shure e2c'ss

should i do a poll??

Quote:

Burn in is much like breaking in new shoes to my mind.

All parts need to relax and become accustomed to how they will be used, and to some extent everything needs to melt into one, instead of many seperate parts bolted together.

I'm in the camp that thinks its an actual physical process, not mental whatsoever. Lol, you can't prove if someone is imagining it anyway!

Quote:

The word "burn in" whould suggest that it has something to do with temperature. Might the term been carried over from the electrostatic times where headphones need to reach a certain operating temperature to perform optimally? Other than that I'm not sure how burn-in can help. A search at wikipedia pulls up this

For electronic components, burn in is frequently conducted at elevated temperature and perhaps elevated voltage. This process may also be called heat soaking. The components may be under continuous test or simply tested at the end of the burn in period.

I agree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back