I was told to post here: Lossless Audio question
Apr 16, 2009 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Ghigguls

100+ Head-Fier
When I first read about lossless audio, I wanted to hear it so bad! I have an ipod and have never heard anything but standard, apparently bad quality music. I tried to look for lossless audio programs but could only find Apple's program. I t said it costs money to use, so the question is, is there any other way i could get lossless audio with anything else?

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghigguls /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't really carry around a cd player around... Or do you mean rip the cd onto the comp?

Yep, rip your cds to itunes, changes prefs to import best quality either wav of aif is fine. Copy onto your ipod.

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, rip your cds to itunes, changes prefs to import best quality either wav of aif is fine. Copy onto your ipod.

Oh I never knew you could do that.
Thanks
happy_face1.gif

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 32
Yup, because THE websites that offer downloads like itunes and amazon dont offer lossless rips and we here at head-fi dont PIRATE. so you'll just have to buy cds off eBAY and rip them using winamp or foobar or w/e EDIT: itunes...

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

He should rip to ALAC (Apple Lossless) since he's using an iPod... smaller file size and if he needs another format later it's super easy to transcode. I would also suggest using EAC (secure mode) or dBpoweramp, to rip the CDs, since they will give the most accurate rips compared to other software like iTunes. Also, ghigguls, your music is not necessarily low quality if it's in mp3/aac format. Check the bitrate on your songs, (right click on an audio file -> properties -> details if you're on windows, or right click one of the column headings in iTunes and select to show bitrate) if it's >=192kbps it's at least medium-high quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, because THE websites that offer downloads like itunes and amazon dont offer lossless rips and we here at head-fi dont PIRATE. so you'll just have to buy cds off eBAY and rip them using winamp or foobar or w/e EDIT: itunes...

If someone were to look at pirating lossless, they'd know where to look already anyway, since it's easy for someone to transcode a 128 kbps mp3 to flac and say it's "lossless."

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

u dont mind the charge?

What charge? He's trancoding his CD to Apple Lossless via iTunes.

Quote:

Thanks alot!
now how do i go about doing this stuff? could someone send me a link?

A link for pirating lossless stuff?

Apr 16, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A link for pirating lossless stuff?

Haha, I think/hope he's asking about links to software...

EAC is here, it is free:
Introduction » Exact Audio Copy

You can find various documentation and all to help you, EAC will give you a .wav file that you will probably want to convert to Apple Lossless (I'm pretty sure iTunes lets you do this) due to smaller file size. (roughly half)

Or, if you just want to do it simply, rip straight to Apple Lossless using iTunes.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 32
Ghigguls. Lossless audio is definitely worth a try.
smile.gif

You may not hear an audible difference, or find it not worth dealing with (file size vise), but at least you should make up your own mind.

Don't know which Apple application you refer to, cause at least iTunes is free. It support Apple Lossless, which probably is the codec you want to give a try.

Apr 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 32
Use this guide. It will generate EXACT copies of your CD music in a lossless format, which can be transcoded to any other format as you'd like, or reburned to CD in an exact 1:1 way. Don't convert to ALAC it ties you to Apple's less-supported format.

EAC Guides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back