I was skeptical, but ASIO made a huge difference
Apr 20, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #31 of 74
How does ASIO sounds compared to Kernel Streaming ? (in Foobar) I read that there is a difference somewhere, but I dont know whether it is a truth, or myth. Is ASIO worth installing in case of using Kernel Streaming ?

Apr 20, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've done the same thing, and i've been using this for a while.
i just noticed someone saying that i should not be able to control the volume with the winamp volume slide bar. however, i still can control the volume by sliding the winamp volume bar.
is anything wrong with my setup?

Well I don't know if you shouldn't be able to use the winamp volume bar, but when I first started reading about ASIO I was informed that this would be the case. It probably isn't that big of a deal that yours still works provided that you are sure that everything is running correctly. If you have ASIO4ALL and the proper ASIO plugin all running AND you are hearing sound you are probably good to go. I just don't know for sure if the volume slider being disabled is a universal thing for all ASIO users.

Since you are using a usb dac I would check one thing. I had a USB soundcard not to long ago and I couldn't get ASIO to run with it. I kept getting error messages that stated that my USB bandwidth wasn't large enough. I got a new PCI soundcard and everything worked fine. If you received any error or warning messages regarding usb that could be the reason that the volume slider still works. However, in my case when I received the warning/error message there would be no sound and I would have to switch Winamp back to the direct sound plugin.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #34 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by eraser_svk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does ASIO sounds compared to Kernel Streaming ? (in Foobar) I read that there is a difference somewhere, but I dont know whether it is a truth, or myth. Is ASIO worth installing in case of using Kernel Streaming ?

There are some claims that ASIO sounds better than KS, and also that certain versions of ASIO sound better.

To my ears there is no difference. I've also never seen any technical reason presented as to why they would be different.

Apr 25, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #35 of 74
Thanks for explanation. Now I wonder how can different ASIO versions sound different
confused.gif
Is ASIO4ALL one of the good sounding ASIOs ?

Apr 25, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #36 of 74
If the Winamp volume slider works and you're supposed to be using ASIO, then you aren't using ASIO (except if you've done something specific to enable this).

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #37 of 74
Quote:

Thanks for explanation. Now I wonder how can different ASIO versions sound different
confused.gif
Is ASIO4ALL one of the good sounding ASIOs ?

ASIO is a protocol, ASIO4ALL just enables it when your sound card driver doesnt allow it directly, and it comes out as easy to use.
Worthy of note (since i never saw it written anywhere) the Auzen Prelude drivers supports ASIO natively, no need to install anything. It was a nice surprise indeed !

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #38 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Winamp volume slider works and you're supposed to be using ASIO, then you aren't using ASIO (except if you've done something specific to enable this).

well the, someone please help me.
frown.gif

i can swear that the sound is louder when i am running asio (supposedly but apparently not)...
the asio control panel does show that my usb dac device is working(the green thingies).
what am i doing wrong?

Apr 30, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #39 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by cps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like snake oil. I'm not big into expensive cables. I stay the course. I read everything and rarely post. But I have to say that using ASIO in Winamp and Foobar 2000 made a huge difference in the sound of my PC based audio system!...

Well, I thought foobar/asio would help my problem, but so far it has not. I am getting a little-yet-noticeable amount of distortion through my computer using foobar, compared to digital out of a dvd player. I feed the signal to my Zero DAC/HP amp and then to my HD-650s, and when I use the computer spdif output, a vocal I have been using for comparison has a bit of distortion in her voice (almost like she needs to clear her throat). When I play the song (via the cd the song was ripped from) in an old dvd player, and feed the digital out to the Zero (still spdif coaxial), it sounds wonderful. I thought if I installed asio maybe it would help, but no luck. I used Enoyin's 2/07 post to configure. Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #40 of 74
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewmaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are some claims that ASIO sounds better than KS, and also that certain versions of ASIO sound better.

To my ears there is no difference. I've also never seen any technical reason presented as to why they would be different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dougboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for being a noob, but i simply cannot tell the difference between normal output and ASIO. Something wrong with my ears? Ive A-B tested the two back and forth and they sound the same.

btw, im using vista32 > foobar v0.9.5.1 > 320kbps AAC > emu 0202 > SR60's

I'm running Foobar from a DIY dedicated music computer with both optical and USB out. I don't hear any difference between ASIO4ALL, Kernel Streaming or Direct Sound via the optical connection and, I hear no difference between ASIO4ALL, DS: USB Audio DAC or DS: Primary Sound Driver via the USB bus.

I also hear no difference between optical and USB with the Stello DA100 and a significant difference when I put my Constantine DAC in the chain, the optical being much better than the USB.

Equipment is: computer>optical/USB>Stello DA100>GS-1>HD650/K701/DT880

In my setup, the force is strong with Placebo.

USG

d-_-b

[size=xx-small]< this is with my ears, my headphones and my equipment >[/size]

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #41 of 74
was reading this, and decided to try it out. so downloaded the asio plugin for winamp (to use in media monkey). did nt work. downloaded asio4all. did not work. then muckin about i realised that you have to use the drivers from the asio4all in the plugin. and it definately works. i dnt know if it is placebo or not (i have not had a chance to test it) but the sq is much better. even on my old songs, which i have not yet bothered to rip in flac (they are 128) it is better. now, i have not really messed with any of the seetings, but can you help explain what they mean. stuff like buffer size, latency compensation, always resample, force wdm, etc. it goes way over my head. so, any source for help please?

Edit: soon after using asio, i start hearing hissing noises. i turn it of its still there. i uninstall it, its still there. any help?

May 1, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #42 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was reading this, and decided to try it out. so downloaded the asio plugin for winamp (to use in media monkey). did nt work. downloaded asio4all. did not work. then muckin about i realised that you have to use the drivers from the asio4all in the plugin. and it definately works. i dnt know if it is placebo or not (i have not had a chance to test it) but the sq is much better. even on my old songs, which i have not yet bothered to rip in flac (they are 128) it is better. now, i have not really messed with any of the seetings, but can you help explain what they mean. stuff like buffer size, latency compensation, always resample, force wdm, etc. it goes way over my head. so, any source for help please?

Edit: soon after using asio, i start hearing hissing noises. i turn it of its still there. i uninstall it, its still there. any help?

What equipment are you using? What is your set up?

USG

d-_-b

May 1, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #43 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well the, someone please help me.
frown.gif

i can swear that the sound is louder when i am running asio (supposedly but apparently not)...
the asio control panel does show that my usb dac device is working(the green thingies).
what am i doing wrong?

The volume might be louder with ASIO depending on your kmixer settings, but that doesn't mean ASIO isn't working. When you're in ASIO mode, if you move the winamp volume slider, the volume shouldn't change at all. If it does, it means you're still using the kmixer.

May 1, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #44 of 74
Does ASIO work together with EMU's proprietary drivers (for best results) when using the 0404 USB via USB for playback ?
Does it replace some of their functionality, are they (in?)compatible or are they simply handling two separated segments in the audio transfer chain and are therefore best used together (perhaps in some specific configuration) ?

I ask because I know EMU's drivers are one of the best (consumer) implementation of low-jitter transfer over USB and wondering what's the best way to maximize their potential. I'd like an expert opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back