I was more impressed by the Beats headphones at bestbuy then my d2000....what gives?
May 27, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

moomooemu

100+ Head-Fier
So I was listening to the Beats today and I thought they sounded pretty good. I thought it sounded better than my denon d2000....What though! 

Do you think it is because of my setup....or perhaps it was just because they played the beats loudly, and that made me percieve it to sound better?

I have an EMU 0404 running into my denon d2000. I've heard the output headphone amp is bad......can it really be underperforming and masking the performance of my d2000 that much though?
or maybe perhaps, they run the headphones into a better source, so it sounds better?

Even the sony headphones sounded better...the mdr.xb500 i think they were called

Idk, what do you think?

May 27, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 30
You are going crazy. All I can say.

May 27, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 30
You need to be more specific on how Beats are better than your D2000.

Today I gave the Beats Solo another shot at Hot Topic. It's not as bad as what I heard at Best Buy. It's decent. But still, when you see the price tag lol

May 27, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 30
Or maybe you just like the Beats better? It's not like a disease or anything to like them, they're just totally overvalued.

May 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 30
They're just overpriced. They're not exactly bad compared to consumer headphones in general. Some people may like their sound signature more than 'audiophile' cans.

It is possible that there is something wrong with your D2000s - as it has been often revealed that the design of the exterior (cups) is inferior.

A higher volume will in general always sound better (as long as both sound levels are within listenable range for you) and the higher volume does not induce distortion [though as a personal preference, some people do like distortion. I occasionally enjoy it on select tracks myself]

May 27, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 30
Seriously, the Beats aren't that bad, they are just mainly hated because they are overpriced. Same as Bose. If you like the Beats more, you like the Beats more. Your ears are different from everyone else's ears.

May 27, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 30
That being said, you can buy the Dre Beats for like $300, or get the ATH-M50 for $100 or less which will pretty much smoke the Beats, IMHO.

May 27, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 30
Beats are amazingly overpriced. Their sound signature is not garbage, and there are those who will prefer it. The question becomes are they worth the money to YOU? 

May 27, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 30
Okay, over the last 10 posts I'm pretty sure the general consensus is that they're overpriced, nobody has to say it anymore :p

May 27, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 30
*shrug* you didn't describe the music you tried or your personal listening preferences, so maybe you just like big, bloated bass.

Maybe your listening preferences will change with time and different genres. Try focusing on specifics, like - how do the Monsters do mids? How do the Denons do mids? What about soundstage and instrument separation?

May 27, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 30
*winces looking at that frequency chart*

Jeez, I had a hankering suspicion there was pretty bad bass rolloff on the Beats, but it looks much worse on paper. Yikes.

May 27, 2010 at 6:13 AM Post #15 of 30

Quote:
Seriously, the Beats aren't that bad, they are just mainly hated because they are overpriced. Same as Bose. If you like the Beats more, you like the Beats more. Your ears are different from everyone else's ears.

Sorry but i have to honestly say, my dad's Bose QC3 aren't good sounding. They're just too muddy for me to appreciate them :\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back