I was deaf, now I... have HD 555 :)
Feb 23, 2008 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OliG

New Head-Fier
Hello,

This is my first post and I would like to share my little story, and ask a little question.

I primary use headphones for gaming, so I've been fooled by "gaming headsets" in the past.
redface.gif

Luckyly, my last "gaming headset", a 5.1 edimentional audiofx, have broken (mic stopped working...) and I began my quest for the best headset a student can afford... I swear, I was at checkout process of buying a "tritton 5.1 surround headset" when I discovered this site... thank god.
smily_headphones1.gif

After reading a lot, I ended up buying sennheiser HD555. I honestly never tought a pair of headphones could make such a big difference! I now understand what you guys means by "sound separation"
tongue.gif

My first impression was in games, in battlefield 2 to be precise, and the sennheiser sounded a lot better than my audiofx (the drivers still works ok so I compared). But, after I listened to some music, radiohead hail to the thief was the fisrt to go in, as I tought the variety of sounds it contains would be a good test. This is precisely at this moment that my ears have understood the difference in sound quality! I honestly had somes chills while listening with HD555... The audiofx simply could not hold and play adequately music. I really, really like thoses sennheiser headphones, and worse of all, I know theses are just the bottom line of good headphones...

The only little cloud in the sky is, while listening to music, I noticed somes littles "clap" sounds... like if the music stopped for a fraction of a second. I know this is not the cd, as I own the original and I replayed it, and it occured at differents places in tracks. Maybee there is a term to name thoses "claps" sounds but I dont know it. Do you know what it is? My guess (and hopes) is that it come from my integrated sound card... Is it possible?

Finally, I would like to know what mic do you use to pair with your headphones? I read that zalman mic was the way to go... is there any other options? (I was thinking about a neckworn mic)

Thanks a lot!

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 12
it could be that the 'claps' have always been there , but you were too 'deaf' with the 'gaming headphones' to notice it?

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 12
if you're using your computer, the claps, instant of silence as you described could be a result of your computer not being able to play the music smoothly, because of a cheap audio card that doesn't offload the processes from the CPU, or just too much going on.

my thought.

Feb 23, 2008 at 6:45 AM Post #6 of 12
It's probably the integrated audio. Or maybe it's the plugin used for playing audio. What program are you using to play audio? You might try different programs, maybe winamp and foobar, they seem the most popular around here anyway.

Welcome, and sorry about your wallet!

Feb 23, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 12
For your mic, I heard that many professional gamers use another headset with a mic integrated on it and hang it on their neck so that they could use the mic. Don't quote me on this though, I might be wrong.

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for all the quick replys

Quote:

it could be that the 'claps' have always been there , but you were too 'deaf' with the 'gaming headphones' to notice it?

Yeah, exactly what I think too
wink.gif

Quote:

sounds like a bad rip.

I wish it was that but as said before, I was using the original cd to be sure there would not be rip issues...

Quote:

lol, are u using a p4?

well my E6600 isnt the most recent processor but it usually get the job done in any application (specially coupled with 4g of ram and a 8800GT video card
wink.gif
).
The weakest link is the audio source... I am using the integrated audio card of a intel DQ965 motherboard... Would you guys recommend a new sound card? wich one, lets say below 100$?

Quote:

What program are you using to play audio?

I was using nero showtime... I will give winamp a try today.

Quote:

For your mic, I heard that many professional gamers use another headset with a mic integrated on it and hang it on their neck so that they could use the mic

Thanks, I will try this solution. Do you have any recomendation of good mics on cheaps headset?

Feb 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Zalman clip on mic

it's good enough quality for games / ventrillo / team speak

just clip it onto the headphone wire...
smily_headphones1.gif
its < $10

Feb 23, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your mic, I heard that many professional gamers use another headset with a mic integrated on it and hang it on their neck so that they could use the mic. Don't quote me on this though, I might be wrong.

It would be a lot simpler to buy a standalone mic. I use the mic from my webcam and it works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back