I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of AKG K712 pros, but.....need suggestions
Oct 8, 2015 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

100+ Head-Fier
I'm glad I did not pull the lever on the AKG K712s yet. I just found out that the ear pads are $90 which is ludicrous at best and one can't get them even if they wanted to anyway because AKG does not have any customer service. Even the website is not fully functional, I challenge anybody to even pull up a dealer list on the AKG website). It's rather telling to me that they don't care.

So, while I thought the K712s would be a good upgrade from my Senn HD518s, now it doesn't look like such a good idea. I'm not paying that kind of money for product with no support or what could be disposable plastic cans (and not made in Austria as claimed, to boot). I'm very disappointed, but thank goodness I did not purchase them yet and found this out beforehand.

Any other headphones that would be similar to the K712s perhaps that I could look at to upgrade from my 518s that are $400 or less?

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #2 of 16
Do you have an amp? What sound signature are you liking for, similar to the K712? Hifimans current choices (and HE-500), Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD6x0 all come to mind.

Oct 8, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 16
Do you have an amp? What sound signature are you liking for, similar to the K712? Hifimans current choices (and HE-500), Beyerdynamic DT880, Sennheiser HD6x0 all come to mind.

Yes, I'm looking for something similar to the K712 although I have never heard them. Demoing headphones is a practice in impossibility. 
I was just going off graphing and description. 
I do not have an amp, I will be using my stereo system (receiver). I would get an amp if needed though, but I want to see how the receiver works out first. I will not be using the cans with anything else.
I'm looking for an upgrade from my Senn HD518s as I find them somewhat lacking in highs and the staging a bit too narrow. I am looking for a nice balance, not too bright or dark. I like detail and good staging. Of course, comfort is very important too, but that can not be measured by any standard since none exist, so it's trial an error for that.

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 16
Nothing will replicate the soundstage and presentation of an AKG 700-series, no matter what the frequency response charts look like. For an upgrade from Senn HD 5xx series, the 700-series are a logical choice. I have no idea what you're trying to do with claiming they aren't Austrian made - they are, and it would be illegal for AKG to claim otherwise with "Made in Austria" listed as their country of origin; only the Massdrop K7XX were not made in Austria afaik. Generic replacement pads can be ordered on ebay for around $20/pr, and from personal experience with owning the K701 for over five years, the pads are well made and shouldn't need to be replaced unless you're especially hard (/abusive) to your gear, or particularly filthy, and even then - they stand up well to hand-washing IME. Expensive pads is more or less part and parcel for high-end cans though - if you think the AKG pads are expensive, look at replacement costs for some of the leather pads from Ultrasone, Audio-Technica, and Sony.

If you don't want to go AKG, I'd look at Audio-Technica and Ultrasone as potential candidates from the HD 5xx series.

As far as finding a list of distributors, it took all of about 10 seconds, here you go:
http://www.akg.com/pro/international-representatives

Contact for the US is

AKG ACOUSTICS, U.S.
8500 Balboa Blvd. Dock 15
Northridge, CA 91329

Sales and general inquiries
phone: +1 800 342 6939
fax: +1 574 294 8250
email: akgusa@harman.com
http://www.akg.com/us

From the product page, there is a "Buy Now" link that will provide off-site links to authorized dealers. For the K712 their top results are Sweetwater, HarmanPro (direct from them), B&H, SamAsh, and FullCompass. Their direct retail link:
http://shop.harmanpro.com/p/k712-pro

:rolleyes:

Oct 8, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks, yeah, I was afraid the AKGs would be hard to beat for what I am after. I'd have to go to the Senn HD850s to get close and those are way out of my range. So are the HD700s.

I don't know how you found that info on AKG, the dealer screen doesn't work for me. The phone number is voicemail.
All the more important to buy from authorized dealers.

As for pads, Ebay is out of the question. I also just learned that the pads will last at least 2 years or in the case of my usage pattern maybe even double that.

Oct 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 16
$90 every 2-3 years seems like a small price to pay. My Q701s are over a year old, and the pads are great. Consider the K7XX to save on money, for 95% of the same sound. The difference in price will buy you plenty of pads.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodgey4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$90 every 2-3 years seems like a small price to pay. My Q701s are over a year old, and the pads are great. Consider the K7XX to save on money, for 95% of the same sound. The difference in price will buy you plenty of pads.

Yep the self-adjusting headband keeps wear to a minimum as you can't really wear it too tight. OP's problem though is product support, ie he can't find the earpads and even local dealer/regional distro contact info on AKG's website, compared to how in North America and Europe for example the regional Sennheiser distributors have the spare parts in the support page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad I did not pull the lever on the AKG K712s yet. I just found out that the ear pads are $90 which is ludicrous at best and one can't get them even if they wanted to anyway because AKG does not have any customer service. Even the website is not fully functional, I challenge anybody to even pull up a dealer list on the AKG website). It's rather telling to me that they don't care.

So, while I thought the K712s would be a good upgrade from my Senn HD518s, now it doesn't look like such a good idea. I'm not paying that kind of money for product with no support or what could be disposable plastic cans (and not made in Austria as claimed, to boot). I'm very disappointed, but thank goodness I did not purchase them yet and found this out beforehand.

Any other headphones that would be similar to the K712s perhaps that I could look at to upgrade from my 518s that are $400 or less?

Like I said in the other thread it will depend on where you are, if you're in North America or Western Europe the only real hassle (if you can call it that) is that you have to get the distro's number from AKG via email, then call the number/s they'll give you. It's not that I don't understand, heck when local pizza places released apps where I can even do custom toppings I was ecstatic over not having to have to dictate orders and now only have to click them, but as long as you're in the areas where AKG distributors aren't horrible (or not as horrible as Sennheiser's distro in my country) then one phone call every two years isn't too bad.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 16

True, but the K7XX is only available through Massdrop and rumor has it that AKG is not sure they are willing to make anymore for another drop, I'm not surprised. (Nothing wrong with Massdrop mind you, it's Harmon/AKG that can't run themselves).
As indicated though, I have gotten things resolved about the K712s except for AKG bothering to give a hoot about their own products, but I don't run the company, so who am I to say? Perhaps by the time the ear pads need replacing (which for me will be longer than two years for sure) they will have some ear pads on the market or at least third party ones. So I'm not going to worry for at least two years.

Oct 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 16

Yep the self-adjusting headband keeps wear to a minimum as you can't really wear it too tight. OP's problem though is product support, ie he can't find the earpads and even local dealer/regional distro contact info on AKG's website, compared to how in North America and Europe for example the regional Sennheiser distributors have the spare parts in the support page.

Like I said in the other thread it will depend on where you are, if you're in North America or Western Europe the only real hassle (if you can call it that) is that you have to get the distro's number from AKG via email, then call the number/s they'll give you. It's not that I don't understand, heck when local pizza places released apps where I can even do custom toppings I was ecstatic over not having to have to dictate orders and now only have to click them, but as long as you're in the areas where AKG distributors aren't horrible (or not as horrible as Sennheiser's distro in my country) then one phone call every two years isn't too bad.

Problem with AKG (I tested this) is that they do not respond to emails either. They simply do not respond, period.
So I have reconciled that I know the risk I am walking into by purchasing the K712 (or any AKG product) and I'm willing to take it. Like I said, we don't know what will happen in another year or two. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #10 of 16
  Problem with AKG (I tested this) is that they do not respond to emails either. They simply do not respond, period.
So I have reconciled that I know the risk I am walking into by purchasing the K712 (or any AKG product) and I'm willing to take it. Like I said, we don't know what will happen in another year or two. 

Well let's hope Headphone.com starts stocking the earpads.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 16
  I don't know how you found that info on AKG, the dealer screen doesn't work for me. The phone number is voicemail.
All the more important to buy from authorized dealers.

What web browser are you using?  Could you try another one?  e.g.; Chrome or Firefox if you are using IE, etc.

FWIW, I have a pair of K501's that are at least 15 years old and I haven't had to change the pads.  Admittedly, I don't use them 8 hours per day, 5 days a week or anything like that, but still, after 15+ years they are still in excellent condition (I *am* listening them right now however :) ).  I'd hate to think the newer ones are that much less durable.

pat----

Oct 9, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 16

What web browser are you using?  Could you try another one?  e.g.; Chrome or Firefox if you are using IE, etc.

FWIW, I have a pair of K501's that are at least 15 years old and I haven't had to change the pads.  Admittedly, I don't use them 8 hours per day, 5 days a week or anything like that, but still, after 15+ years they are still in excellent condition (I *am* listening them right now however :) ).  I'd hate to think the newer ones are that much less durable.

pat----

Yes, I tried Chrome and Firefox with the same result.
Anyway, I learned I don't have much to worry about as I don't use headphones 40 hours a week. For me, it would be admittedly closer to 8 hours per year.

Oct 10, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #14 of 16

Wait...what? That's barely ten albums. I don't use my headphones as much but I still go through two or three albums of serious listening every week.

Lol,...That's my headphone use pattern I'm talking about, I'm a speaker guy and I can do two or three LPs a week easy listening through speakers (my preferred method).
smile.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 16
  Lol,...That's my headphone use pattern I'm talking about, I'm a speaker guy and I can do two or three LPs a week easy listening through speakers (my preferred method).
smile.gif

If that's the case it'll be many years, likely five years minimum as long as moisture levels (too much nor too little) isn't a problem, before you need to buy a new set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back