I want to upgrade my headphones. Budget $800
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Emailz

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to upgrade from my V Moda M100s. I don’t have much experience in trying different headphones so I really need the help of the pros here.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of the M100s. I love the bass, I love the clarity, and I love this sound signature in general. However, after years of using it, I am a little bored and would like to see if there is a step up from this. I tried the Bowers and Wilkins PX but returned them because they kind of sounded as if the songs were being played through a tube. I don’t know the correct way to describe it. Anyway, here’s what I’m working with:

-I have up to $800 to spend

-I mostly listen to Hip Hop and podcasts

-I want the next best thing that has a similar sound to the V Moda m100s

-I am open to both closed back headphones and IEMs

-comfort is important to me as I will be using these for hours at a time

-I need something portable as I will be using it everywhere, especially in an office setting at work

-lastly, this is a little less important but I like customizability. For example, being able to change cables on IEMs, or headphones coming with an app on your smartphone to customize the eq (like the Audeze sine), etc

That’s it! I hope you guys can help me find the best headphones that match all of the criteria above. Thank you

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 8
For IEM, you can consider Shure SE846. The bass of SE846 will not disappoint you. The cable is detachable so there is an option for you to upgrade by changing the cable. For headphone wise, I will recommend SONY MDR-Z7. The bass of this headphone is amazing. Tight, punchy and well controlled. It doesn't bleed to the mids or highs.

Mar 26, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Consider the Campfire Audio Cascade. I found the earpads too narrow for my large ears, but if yours fit, the pads are deep and plush.

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi Emailz,

For the max price you set, there are too many good options.

Just demo lots of headphones & IEMs with a quality source.

LOTS OF DEMOS, THIS CANNOT BE OVERSTATED ENOUGH.

Remember, have lots of fun doing it.

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 8
The V-Moda have a v sound signature that you won’t find in many if any high end headphones. If you like bass I’d say to look into planars like the Audeze lcd2 lcd3 or the Oppo pm3 the Oppo has a similar sound sig to the V-Moda but is just a much nicer headphone(they also have a pm2 and pm1 which are open backed) and won’t have the bass but still similar sound sig. the lcd 2 is a warm sounding headphone with solid bass especially for an open headphone...planars in general just have an addicting lot fun sound to them, their midrange is generally god like. I saw a review a while back comparing the V-Moda M100s to the Oppo pm3 n they basically said the Oppo is a better built m100 with similar sound signature, better bass but more well defined at the same time

Mar 27, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 8
One thing worth mentioning about the lcd2 is you will need a decent amp to hear them at their best....the Oppo headphones are extremely efficient especially for a planar headphone and will do very well with a mobile source

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Recommend the Emu Teak, especially if you want to be on the go. changeable cables, pads, cup material, make it plenty moddable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back